Deer Collision Claims Up 14%

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
New State Farm report says the average deer strike claim is $3,888, up 14% from last year. And the chances of hitting a deer while driving are up 3% this year. The report says that while the chances of hitting a deer in the U.S. are currently at 1 in 169 within a given year, the likelihood doubles during deer hunting season from October to December.

Drivers in West Virginia are most likely to experience a deer collision, with odds being a staggeringly high 1 in 39, and it’s the eighth straight year the state tops the list for deer collision incident likelihood. Rounding out top 5:
Pennsylvania (1 in 71)
Montana (1 in 75)
Iowa (1 in 77)
South Dakota (1 in 82)

I haven’t had the Bambi collision in Colorado (40th ranked), but it seems like my wife’s side of the family in Wisconsin (7th ranked) hits one about every other year.

If you are so inclined, check out the ranking for all 50 states at the link below. Also has some tips you can provide to policyholders about reducing the chances of a collision as hunting season heats up.

Odds of deer collision | CarInsurance.com

it's because they put deer crossing signs on major highways. they need to move those signs to areas with less traffic.:goofy::D:laugh:

Attachments

• deer.jpg
    deer.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
the guy who wrote that newspaper piece to the editor only did it as a joke. but the girl in the youtube link sti posted sounded damn serious about it! :D

all joking aside, recently while running a quote I noticed one of my carriers offered deer coverage. I didn't look into it but I assume it's for those who only want the deer coverage portion of comprehensive without buying coverage for theft, fire, vandalism etc.

sounds like a good marketing idea to me from the company's perspective, but I can't see where it would be all that great for a customer versus just taking comprehensive coverage.

HTF did deer get to Hawaii? Did they swim? :D

----------

the guy who wrote that newspaper piece to the editor only did it as a joke. but the girl in the youtube link sti posted sounded damn serious about it! :D

all joking aside, recently while running a quote I noticed one of my carriers offered deer coverage. I didn't look into it but I assume it's for those who only want the deer coverage portion of comprehensive without buying coverage for theft, fire, vandalism etc.

sounds like a good marketing idea to me from the company's perspective, but I can't see where it would be all that great for a customer versus just taking comprehensive coverage.

O you hit a jackrabbit? No coverage. Oh you hit a bald eagle? No coverage? Oh you hit a moose? No coverage. Not much fun for an agent.

Back