Delay Auto-renewal 3-4 Days?

dr789

I have an event from almost 3 years ago that greatly increased my insurance. After 3 years(this February), my insurance should drop, but unfortunately the renewal date is 3-4 days early. My provider says I will need to pay the next 6 months at the higher rate since it will renew before the 3-year anniversary. I am thinking of getting a new car anyway so I was going to sell the car, wait till the anniversary, and then sign up for insurance again. Selling a car, however, is unpredictable and I might not be able to do it in time, so I was wondering if there is another way to handle this. I don't mind not driving during this short gap, but I have nowhere to put the car to get it off the road. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-dr789

is this car insured with both comp and collision, or do you just carry liability on it?

if you just carry liability, you may want to see if Viking/Dairyland is in your state. they sell 30 day policies. Carry them for a month and then shop around once that is over.

Hi Dan,

I am in NY and only have liability. I will look into 30-day policies

-dr789

I'm not familiar with carriers in NY, but there are several carriers who sell short term policies like this. I only mentioned Viking/Dairyland because I am familiar with them.

Other companies will sell policies for less than 30 days, but I don't know which companies do that. your best bet is calling an indy agent.

just pay a month of the policy and rewrite then cancel the old policy.

Be careful with a 30 day dairyland policy. Being a non standard auto it may make you not eligible for preferred rates with the new company.

just pay a month of the policy and rewrite then cancel the old policy. Be careful with a 30 day dairyland policy. Being a non standard auto it may make you not eligible for preferred rates with the new company.

This is what I would recommend as well.

Thanks alot guys... How do I rewrite and cancel without having a gap? Do you mean start a new policy with the new car, then cancel the old policy? Will they let me start a new policy without automatically adding it to my current? Is it something I should talk to the carrier about? Or do you mean to go with another carrier on the new car?

What the others have recommended. You can just stay on your current policy and start shopping for new insurance once the 3 year mark has passed. Most personal lines are pro rated anyway. You might also pay a early cancellation fee if you are on a non standard company. If you are gonna be in the market, go ask your nearest independent insurance agency and have them give you a quote.

Latest posts

Back