Delay Medicare Plan A enrollments

ABV2004

I am eligible for the Medicare Plan A , but I am currently covered by HSA Health Plan and don't need Medicare Plan A. Can I delay the enrollment without any penalties until I covered by group health insurance from the Company, and for how long?

You most likely mean part A and not plan A. Plan A is an insurance plan.

Part A is typically free and really doesn’t need to be delayed if it’s already started.

As far as penalties go, that would be for part B. If you have creditable coverage then you can delay part b without a penalty. You need to find out if you have creditable coverage.

I am eligible for the Medicare Plan A , but I am currently covered by HSA Health Plan and don't need Medicare Plan A. Can I delay the enrollment without any penalties until I covered by group health insurance from the Company, and for how long?

I have to assume you mean Medicare Part A (for hospital coverage). It's good that you're aware enough to know that having Medicare (any part) will impact what you can do with your HSA (specifically that you won't be able to contribute to an HSA once you have Medicare).

I would recommend speaking to your benefits department to determine if you might be required to pick up Medicare. Also you might want to speak to a counselor through the California Dept. of Aging. Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP) California’s State Health Insurance Assistance Program - California Department of Aging

You most likely mean part A and not plan A. Plan A is an insurance plan.

Part A is typically free and really doesn’t need to be delayed if it’s already started.

As far as penalties go, that would be for part B. If you have creditable coverage then you can delay part b without a penalty. You need to find out if you have creditable coverage.

FYI Probably nothing most of us have encountered, but there is such a thing as a Part A LEP Part A late enrollment penalty | Medicare.gov. Also, he probably wants to delay Part A if possible so he can continue contributing to his HSA.

If you enroll in Medicare Part A and/or B, you can no longer contribute pre-tax dollars to your HSA.
Are you drawing your Social security? You cannot decline Part A while collecting Social Security benefits.
I'm assuming you are still working for an employer that has 20 or more employee's.

Here is the article I refer back to when I need to refresh my memory on that question:
Health Savings Account Contribution - Medicare Entitlement

(If your HSA health plan is an ACA plan, I think (but am not absolutely sure), that you would loose your eligibility for that plan if you apply for Medicare part A.)

Additional article which may or may not be applicable to you:
Obamacare to Medicare: Penalties, Eligibility and More

Last edited:
FYI Probably nothing most of us have encountered, but there is such a thing as a Part A LEP Part A late enrollment penalty | Medicare.gov. Also, he probably wants to delay Part A if possible so he can continue contributing to his HSA.

Thanks. I think I ran across one HSA and it was this past year. His insurance was $800 by himself so it was a pretty easy decision to take medicare and a supp.

And to the OP it wouldn’t hurt to talk to a local agent to compare your hsa to medicare/supplement. You could be making a costly mistake.

As long as you do not have any part of Medicare you can continue to contribute to your HSA. Two things to keep in mind: 1) once you start drawing Social Security benefits you are required to take Part A so your contributions must stop and 2) whenever you do enroll in Part A the effective date is backdated six months from the date you enroll and your contributions to the HSA have to be prorated based on the effective date not the application date. if you contributed more than the allowable prorated amount you must take that money out and pay normal taxes on it or face a 6% excess contribution penalty.

Re backdating: Would that be qualified by saying unless op has just turned 65?

The original post is not clear, but I am taking it as possibly describing a situation in which a person was not working, got an ACA plan, then got a job which will have group health after x months and turned 65 after the employment started, but is still in the waiting stage for eligibility for grroup health.

Back