Democrats Introduce Medicare Expansion at Age 55

This is news to me. I've had several clients tell me a doctor's office told them they weren't accepting any NEW Medicare patients.

And according to this nearly two year old survey, 21% of PCP's were accepting Medicare, but not NEW Medicare patients. Meaning they are limiting how many Medicare patients they see.

Primary Care Physicians Accepting Medicare: A Snapshot | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Are you stating 21% of PCP's are breaking the law?

That doesn't differentiate between original medicare and MA.

If something exists from CMS saying that doctors can pick and chose between original medicare clients I would like to see it.

On page 64 of the 2017 Medicare and You booklet the question about where to get health care is answered. That's speaking of original medicare. On page 66 they define "private contracts". But that's for providers whom have decided to "not provide services to anyone through Medicare".

Last edited:
That doesn't differentiate between original medicare and MA.

If something exists from CMS saying that doctors can pick and chose between original medicare clients I would like to see it.

On page 64 of the 2017 Medicare and You booklet the question about where to get health care is answered. That's speaking of original medicare. On page 66 they define "private contracts". But that's for providers whom have decided to "not provide services to anyone through Medicare".

Well I assure you, on numerous occasions I have had clients tell me a doctor is not taking NEW Medicare patients. This isn't something new, but has become more prevalent as the Medicare rolls have expanded.

I'm just going to continue under the assumption that doctors are well within their rights to deny seeing NEW Medicare patients (whether original Medicare or MA plans). You can believe the opposite. But if you sell Med Supps and you tell a potential client that a doctor who accepts Medicare MUST see them, be prepared for some backlash.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Kaiser Foundation knows the difference between original Medicare and MA plans. I'm confident they were speaking of original Medicare in that survey.

Well I assure you, on numerous occasions I have had clients tell me a doctor is not taking NEW Medicare patients. This isn't something new, but has become more prevalent as the Medicare rolls have expanded.

I'm just going to continue under the assumption that doctors are well within their rights to deny seeing NEW Medicare patients (whether original Medicare or MA plans). You can believe the opposite. But if you sell Med Supps and you tell a potential client that a doctor who accepts Medicare MUST see them, be prepared for some backlash.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Kaiser Foundation knows the difference between original Medicare and MA plans. I'm confident they were speaking of original Medicare in that survey.

Never had that happen and I don't involve myself with scare tactics.

If I ever have someone tell me that a doctor wouldn't see them then I would report that doctor to CMS.

As for what clients say, I've heard many stories from clients about how Medicare works, or doesn't.

Just overheard a conversation at breakfast this past sunday about the inner workings of Medicare and Medicaid and how they are the same thing.

I suppose now I should be informing clients that they are the same things since I did hear tale of it?:laugh:

Never had that happen and I don't involve myself with scare tactics.

If I ever have someone tell me that a doctor wouldn't see them then I would report that doctor to CMS.

As for what clients say, I've heard many stories from clients about how Medicare works, or doesn't.

Just overheard a conversation at breakfast this past sunday about the inner workings of Medicare and Medicaid and how they are the same thing.

I suppose now I should be informing clients that they are the same things since I did hear tale of it?:laugh:

How in the hell is that a scare tactic?

"Mrs. Client, one thing you'll want to do is make sure your physician both accepts Medicare and is taking on NEW Medicare patients."

That's a statement of FACT. Not a scare tactic. How does that scare a potential client into making a particular decision for which plan they choose? It doesn't. Nice try though.

I've had countless clients call me back and say something like,

"They said because I'm a current patient that I can continue seeing them even though they aren't taking NEW Medicare patients"

I've also had that unfortunate conversation that a client was referred to a doctor and that doctor is not taking NEW Medicare patients.

I hope you come across a client who attempts to see a new doctor who is not accepting NEW Medicare patients. I'd love to see the outcome of you filing a report with CMS. It will go something like this:

"Yeah, so? Doctors have a right to not accept NEW Medicare patients. Thanks for wasting our time though."

You can believe whatever you want no matter how wrong you are. Best of luck to you.

Is it slow over on the FE forum so you're over here trying to stir sh!t up?

How in the hell is that a scare tactic?

"Mrs. Client, one thing you'll want to do is make sure your physician both accepts Medicare and is taking on NEW Medicare patients."

That's a statement of FACT. Not a scare tactic. How does that scare a potential client into making a particular decision for which plan they choose? It doesn't. Nice try though.

I've had countless clients call me back and say something like,

"They said because I'm a current patient that I can continue seeing them even though they aren't taking NEW Medicare patients"

I've also had that unfortunate conversation that a client was referred to a doctor and that doctor is not taking NEW Medicare patients.

I hope you come across a client who attempts to see a new doctor who is not accepting NEW Medicare patients. I'd love to see the outcome of you filing a report with CMS. It will go something like this:

"Yeah, so? Doctors have a right to not accept NEW Medicare patients. Thanks for wasting our time though."

You can believe whatever you want no matter how wrong you are. Best of luck to you.

Is it slow over on the FE forum so you're over here trying to stir sh!t up?

Scare tactic might be the wrong words but so was your warning to me.

As are your continued comments.

Is it stirring sh!t up to ask for proof?

Again, could you show me CMS language that's different from the Medicare and You booklet? I would love to see that if it exists. Other than anecdotally.

Scare tactic might be the wrong words but so was your warning to me.

As are your continued comments.

Is it stirring sh!t up to ask for proof?

Again, could you show me CMS language that's different from the Medicare and You booklet? I would love to see that if it exists. Other than anecdotally.

If you want proof, you seek it out. I know the answer. As do a few others who have posted on this thread and you have chosen to not accept their answers either. But just to use the reference you made to the Medicare & You book.

The first box on page 64 states (again, you said page 64):

Question - Can I get my health care from any doctor, other health care provider, or hospital?

Answer - In most cases, yes. You can go to any doctor, other health care provider, hospital, or other facility that’s enrolled in Medicare and accepting Medicare patients. Visit Medicare.gov to search for and compare health care providers, hospitals, and facilities in your area.

I have put in bold the key words. If the doctor is enrolled in Medicare, why would the Medicare & You book also put "and accepting Medicare patients"? Why would that comment be necessary if doctors who accept Medicare are required to see all patients on Medicare?

That's odd. Maybe you should report Medicare & You to CMS.

In my area in South Texas we have many physicians who are not taking any new Medicare patients, which has been stated in many post. This has been going on for at least the last 5 years. We are told this by many newcomers into the area when the beneficiaries are looking for a general physician. I have doctors who are customers that do not take new patients and what I've been told it's because of the reimbursement rates and the time it takes them to get paid. These are all original Medicare not MA providers.

Most doctor's offices only have the capability to service so many patients. There's no way the government can demand that they take any medicare patient that comes to them. Doctors only agree to take Medicare Assignment, they don't agree that they have to take patients. They are only agreeing to accept what Medicare pays them.

JD, I think you may be getting this mixed up somehow in your head. I'm not trying to say that like it's a bad thing. I get mixed up with stuff too. Hell, nowadays I can be right about something and still question myself and have to verify it.

Todd King;1197160 JD said:
Oh good. Its not just me. ;)

JD...here are the rules as I understand them:

1. If you take MAPD and are accepting new patients (you can close your book on these, too) then you cannot discriminate
2. If you have a current patient that turns 65, you cannot refuse to take them when they become Medicare eligible
3. If you take Medicare assignment, you CAN refuse any new patients. (Many docs do this for people over the age of 60)

This isn't a scare tactic. It just IS. Right now, there are only 2 dermatologist groups in Dallas County taking new O65 patients with Original Medicare.

Page 64, Medicare and You 2017

Can I get my health
care from any doctor,
other health care
provider, or hospital?

In most cases, yes. You can go to any doctor,
other health care provider, hospital, or other
facility that’s enrolled in Medicare and accepting
Medicare patients
. Visit Medicare.gov to search for
and compare health care providers, hospitals, and
facilities in your area.