Democrats Introduce Medicare Expansion at Age 55

A few years ago Georgia told Medigap carriers they had to offer coverage under 65 and offer the same plans available to 65+.

Carriers responded.

Now all of them offer U65 Medigap with the "normal" IEP rules (no underwriting). Premiums make Obamacare rates look like bargains.

TX has that. Everyone has to offer Plan A.

Age 60, plan A is right at $1K per month

A few years ago Georgia told Medigap carriers they had to offer coverage under 65 and offer the same plans available to 65+.

Carriers responded.

Now all of them offer U65 Medigap with the "normal" IEP rules (no underwriting). Premiums make Obamacare rates look like bargains.

Isn't this because currently U65 Medigap is going to be 100% disability with a ton of claims? If they opened it up to anyone aged 55+ I'd expect premiums to be lower than T65's are currently right?

TX has that. Everyone has to offer Plan A.

Age 60, plan A is right at $1K per month

Wow! A plan N in Florida is $340/month and we are usually an expensive state.

Obamacare isn't as good as that for that price.

----------

Isn't this because currently U65 Medigap is going to be 100% disability with a ton of claims? If they opened it up to anyone aged 55+ I'd expect premiums to be lower than T65's are currently right?

That is correct. Premiums would come way down for them.

U65 is currently disabled, high claims, nobody wants it. Plan F (Phys Mut) is $400; AARP/UHC is $405; Aetna $819, BX $1657 . . . .

Carriers won't know how to price 55 - 65 any more than they knew how to price Obamacare. Give that all of them lost money and got screwed by DC I would not expect to see prices lower than current. Depends on what other options available, whether or not there is a mandate, if Medicaid is available . . .

Too many variables to say what the premiums would be.

I figured it would be easier to price than Obamacare since Medicare already outlines what it will pay for. You wont have things like pregnancy included like you have in Obamacare either.

I figured it would be easier to price than Obamacare since Medicare already outlines what it will pay for. You wont have things like pregnancy included like you have in Obamacare either.
Maternity care coverage is definitely not excluded by Medicare. It's just understandably rare. I helped a woman in her thirties who had became eligible for Medicare due to disability and was pregnant. She enrolled in a Medigap and PDP. Maternity was covered. If Medicare is expanded to under 65 you can bet maternity coverage will continue to be included in this cultural climate.

As for the other debate here about whether doctors can or cannot be enrolled in Medicare and not accept new patients, I don't know what the rules say, but do know what happens, and it happens quite a bit. Many doctors who are enrolled as Medicare providers do put a limit on the number of Medicare patients they take and will stop accepting new Medicare patients when they reach that limit. Others are attritioning out of Medicare by not taking new patients but not turning away existing ones. My doctor at one time--now retired--limited his practice to one-third Medicare. When he hit that limit, no new patients until current Medicare patients moved away or passed away. I see this more in metro areas than rural ones, which may be because they have a larger source of non-Medicare patients to keep their practices full.

it would should not affect the Medicare market as much as it did Obamacare.

Too many variables to say what will happen to U65 rates.

You also have a problem with carriers who will (probably) not be able to offer one set of Medigap rates to disabled and another to those who are not disabled.

One of my own doctors has let me know that he appreciates all the people that I refer to him but that he no longer wants new patients on Medicare unless they were already an established patient.

Back