Denied for Umbrella Due to Auto Accident

Mastiff

I started thinking about an umbrella policy. When I put in a quick rate quote thing with the company I use, it was instantly denied because I have an at-fault auto accident on my record. Is this typical? I would think it not uncommon for a 45 year old person to have something like this on his record. Fender benders happen all the time and I think someone is always to blame.

Best bet is to call your agent and have them do it. If they can't package it with your home and auto; there are companies that just do umbrella insurance. They will be able to accommodate your accident.

Carriers can set their own acceptance criteria and umbrellas are a bit more restrictive than the typical home/auto policy.

Most would not decline for 1 at fault accident, but there may be some particular circumstances that would cause this. If your carrier declined, others will accept it.

If you did it online, you might want to call and ask. Umbrellas have pretty strict underwriting guidelines and it may be as simple as you clicked the wrong button along the way.

Dan

Back