Dental Discount That Works?

Crabcake Johnny

Guru
5000 Post Club
Maryland
I'm not a fan of dental discounts plans - haven't seen the value yet. Well, my wife comes home today from the dentist - needs a root canal and crown - total, just over $2,400.

However, they suggest Synergy Dental:Synergy Dental Plan | Home

This is actually the owner - dentist who handed the pamphlet to my wife, then worked her up the cost if we signed up - less than half - under $1,200 for everything.

So we pay just over $150 per year for a family plan and save $1,200? Not bad actually.

I would personally shop the dental work, it's way competitive.

Yah, but maybe the other Dentists don't accept that new plan that healthagent just bought... I wonder if he looked at the network before signing on the dotted line. :D

But then again, who wants to have their teeth fixed by the lowest bidder...? Heck, I don't even want the lowest bidder working on my cars, really. Not always, but over time, you get what you pay for, and when you get a bad job I would certainly hope it isn't on a body part. :nah:

Last edited:
18 participating dental offices located in the Central Florida / Orlando area. 3 participating dental offices located in the Maryland / Baltimore Area. 13 participating dental offices located in the Pittsburgh, PA Area. 7 participating dental offices located in the Las Vegas / Reno, NV Area

I am sorry but that participation is weak at best.
You really bought that? Is your dentist in network?

I've been using these plans for a couple of years, clients save money, I make money, it's all good, check it out here:

www.dpbrokers.com/join.aspx?ref=21679RO

I had a client buy an Aetna discount plan thru these guys about 3 years ago.

It produced some of the biggest hassles and headaches I have encountered in my insurance career.

Not worth it to risk losing a client for $1.42 per month.

All true - but for me it's a no-brainer since it's our dentist who's recommending it.

For all discount plans - forget about the network search. Call you dentist and see who they take.

Yes, some speed bumps with them, I go with Unicare or GE mostly. But headaches are sometimes everywhere that the clients are!

I had a client buy an Aetna discount plan thru these guys about 3 years ago.

It produced some of the biggest hassles and headaches I have encountered in my insurance career.

Not worth it to risk losing a client for $1.42 per month.

Oops!

The Synergy link doesn't seem to work.

Not a fan of discount plans, but DP Brokers seems to do as good a job as any.

Frankly I am surprised you are not pushing the Time DHMO. It's as good a plan as any and slightly better than the Humana DHMO.

Network plans have their good and bad, just like DHMO's. The issue I have with network plans are these.

They mostly have dentists that are inexperienced.

There is no oversight. If a dentist wants to make you come back 3x for something that could be handled in one sitting you have no way of knowing if they are gouging you or not.

Same for telling you that you need work done that may be unnecessary. Without a gatekeeper you have no way of knowing if you are being gouged or not.

All the networks I have seen have schedules for routine stuff but not a lot of detail on what is covered. Do you get 1 X-ray or 3 for your $20? Is that two cleanings per calendar year or 12 months?

I never push dental coverage but manage to write 4 or 5 DP plans a year. The DHMO is new to GA but I figure more of those will be sold as time goes on.

Given the choice between a network and DHMO I would pick the DHMO any day.

Yes, some speed bumps with them, I go with Unicare or GE mostly. But headaches are sometimes everywhere that the clients are!

GE -- are they still in business?:D

Seriously, the really good dentists don't participate in most dental plans, discount or otherwise. They have loyal patients and don't have to.

The dental mills (Coast here in the Southeast would be an example) and the newbie dentists have to do it to find clients/patients. I've found that you'll do just as well asking them for a discount, without paying the $10-$20 per month.

Of course I don't make the $1.42 per month, but I don't lose the $250 annual renewal either cuz they're pissed off...

ymmv.

Back