Dental for Supplement Clients

billyb

Guru
1000 Post Club
Florida
I have a lot of request for dental from supplement clients. Anyone sell a good product? Offering this may give me an edge locally.

I like Ameritas as long as their my use a network dentist. If they want dental but their dentist isn’t in network then Manhattan life is a good option.

The problem with most dental is the network. None of our old established dentist are in the networks only newer offices trying to build their practice. This is why I haven't sold dental. A senior isn't going to change their dentist no more than they change their PCP.

agreed on the switching of dentists. near me Ameritas network is really strong. In other parts of the state it's not an option at all so Manhattan can work depending on what they want.

with dental there's no perfect solution...

I found a very popular plan that I can sell locally that even the established doctors will accept but it only pays 10%. I guess that is better than nothing.

National dental care. Up to $5k in coverage and they pay flat lifetime commissions

I looked at this plan but no established offices will accept. Was told I could recruit new dentist and after talking with a few they said not interested. Seems like the only carrier they will work with is Delta. Delta is great coverage. My wife is a teacher and has us covered. I will have 2 crowns done next month. They pay 80%.

Delta and Humana come to mind. Some Blue Cross plans have very competitive benefits. But that depends on what state you are in.

If a dental plan doesn't include "major benefits" such as fillings, etc. then it probably is worthless. Some will argue that all dental plans are worthless and that once you figure in premiums and deductibles, you really haven't saved money. I'd say that's debatable. From a psychological standpoint, if nothing else, the "free" cleanings will help some people keep up with their 6 month checkups when they might tend to let it slide otherwise.

I looked at this plan but no established offices will accept. Was told I could recruit new dentist and after talking with a few they said not interested. Seems like the only carrier they will work with is Delta. Delta is great coverage. My wife is a teacher and has us covered. I will have 2 crowns done next month. They pay 80%.

Caveats, Not an agent. My experience is in KS.

Delta provides good coverage in group plans. Sometimes the coverage is even better when very large groups such as governments or school districts are the customer. The pricing is very good for the employee too, when the large employer is absorbing a lot of the premium price.

Delta becomes a very different proposition for the consumer when they are retired, with Social security as only, or primary, source of income. The Individual Delta plans have less features than the large employer group plans and are significantly more expensive because the consumer is footing the entire premium. (I kept Delta on Cobra as long as I could.)

I think that many folks at income levels that generate IRMAA add-ons to Part B premiums could absorb individual plan Delta premiums and not worry too much about it. A lot of lower income folks, not so much.

In past threads like this, there have been some agents that say they have minimal interest in selling Dental insurance. What they do is contract with Delta. When they are asked about Dental, They say this is what I can offer you and this is what it will cost you. I can't remember how the agents said they dealt with customer responses or whether or not those agents felt like the Dental coverage issue cost them any significant level of business.

For the senior market agents there is also the issue of whether or not they want to include Vision and Hearing options in what they choose to offer. I gather that Manhattan has made some changes in their plan that make it less attractive for the consumer than it was when goillini52 and rousemark first discussed it in threads here, but it is an offering that would cover all the bases.

Back