DentalPlans.com Stay Away

FLM2

Guru
1000 Post Club
Florida
I enrolled in a Careington discount plan through dentalplans.com a little over a year ago and wasn't planning on renewing after it ended on May 28th.

Imagine my surprise when I saw a renewal charge on my credit card a couple of days ago for another year.

When I called them they said I was setup for automatic renewal (the default) and they process these renewal 4-6 weeks in advance to 'make sure you have continuous coverage'.

When I told the CSR to cancel the plan, she said they would credit me for the year less a $15 'administrative fee'.

Of course, the CSR reverted to the usual insurance company crap of 'this is all in your policy package'.

What a ripoff. I have represented them and placed a few policies over the least 5 years but will never recommend them again. I don't do business with companies that prey on people forgetting they have coverage and paying something year after year; renewing a policy 4-6 weeks in advance and then collecting $15 to terminate it deserves a complaint to the state insurance commission as well.

Last edited:
I enrolled in a Careington discount plan through dentalplans.com a little over a year ago and wasn't planning on renewing after it ended on May 28th. Imagine my surprise when I saw a renewal charge on my credit card a couple of days ago for another year. When I called them they said I was setup for automatic renewal (the default) and they process these renewal 4-6 weeks in advance to 'make sure you have continuous coverage'. When I told the CSR to cancel the plan, she said they would credit me for the year less a $15 'administrative fee'. Of course, the CSR reverted to the usual insurance company crap of 'this is all in your policy package'. What a ripoff. I have represented them and placed a few policies over the least 5 years but will never recommend them again. I don't do business with companies that prey on people forgetting they have coverage and paying something year after year; renewing a policy 4-6 weeks in advance and then collecting $15 to terminate it deserves a complaint to the state insurance commission as well.
Given that it's a plan that you've been selling for a few years it's a little surprising that you did not know that they automatically renew after the first year. Or knew that it's not insurance and there is no "policy." Though I would probably not describe the loss of $15 as a rip off, I don't see how they can charge it to you for a second year when you canceled before the second year began and would definitely dispute that charge with the credit card company.

My point, which most of you have ignored, is that they processed an automatic renewal more than 5 weeks before the expiration of the original term of the plan.

There is no reason for this whatsoever except to take advantage of their subscribers. Their agreement indicates a 60 money back period after a renewal but we all know that most people don't pay attention to automatic billing so most of these will stay on the books.

I don't like writing dental plans, whether it be insurance or discount, so have very few of them on the books and will now never offer it again to a client because of this policy.

My point, which most of you have ignored, is that they processed an automatic renewal more than 5 weeks before the expiration of the original term of the plan.

There is no reason for this whatsoever except to take advantage of their subscribers. Their agreement indicates a 60 money back period after a renewal but we all know that most people don't pay attention to automatic billing so most of these will stay on the books.

I don't like writing dental plans, whether it be insurance or discount, so have very few of them on the books and will now never offer it again to a client because of this policy.

Good thing it happened to you and not your clients. Why would you put your clients in this position? :swoon:

I enrolled in a Careington discount plan through dentalplans.com a little over a year ago and wasn't planning on renewing after it ended on May 28th. Imagine my surprise when I saw a renewal charge on my credit card a couple of days ago for another year. When I called them they said I was setup for automatic renewal (the default) and they process these renewal 4-6 weeks in advance to 'make sure you have continuous coverage'. When I told the CSR to cancel the plan, she said they would credit me for the year less a $15 'administrative fee'. Of course, the CSR reverted to the usual insurance company crap of 'this is all in your policy package'. What a ripoff. I have represented them and placed a few policies over the least 5 years but will never recommend them again. I don't do business with companies that prey on people forgetting they have coverage and paying something year after year; renewing a policy 4-6 weeks in advance and then collecting $15 to terminate it deserves a complaint to the state insurance commission as well.

Just sell them a small RNA policy and they get that plan for free.

Back