Dentist Malpractice Insurance In Regard to 2 DUI(s)

mitbf

Good Morning,

I appreciate any advice you can give me. I am about to graduate dental school. I received a non-criminal offense 1st offense OWI in 2005 in WI, followed by a misdemeanor 2nd offense OWI in 2006 in WI when I was 19 and 20 years old.

The corporate private practice I signed on to work for pays for my malpractice insurance through Hudson Excess Insurance Company. 2 of the questions in the application ask about previous misdemeanor or criminal offenses, so I will obviously report my conviction of the 2nd offense OWI. 1 of the questions asks if I've ever been ordered/sought treatment from a mental health/substance abuse program. Technically, I was never ordered to see a counselor, but if I wanted my driver's license back, I had to see a counselor. I of course did this and completed the outpatient program. Should I report seeing this counselor? Will it disqualify me from getting coverage? Obviously, the form says if I lie, coverage can be canceled and I can be fired. I appreciate any insight anyone can give.

Yes, you should report it and you should sell it too, why you did it and how it is all behind you. After all, as it clearly says coverage can be cancelled and you can be fired. Also in many states this could constitute insurance fraud, which is a felony.

As to whether it will disqualify you, Hudson or your employer would best be able to answer that question. It would depend upon the rules for their program. Fortunately it was 12 years ago, so the impact should be much less than if it was more recent. Particularly if you haven't had any more incidents.

Back