Depression meds - the most prescribed drugs in the US

Agreed. It is much easier to take medications to deal with sadness vs. finding alternative ways to work through an issue.

I view anti-depressants as being a friendly pick me upper when a person has a hard time working through an issue. Similar to how we, as agents, rely on each other to stay the course when things aren't going smoothly. The problem arises when you just read books (a.k.a. take drugs), but do not practice or discuss (therapy) insurance sales techniques.

Agreed. It is much easier to take medications to deal with sadness vs. finding alternative ways to work through an issue.

Most of you have zero formal medical training, nor do you even have much clinical contact with those who do. So you think that people who take these meds are simply unable to 'deal with sadness'? That's all it is, right?

Until you live or get close to someone who suffers from depression, you will never understand that it is a disease... and that these meds are virtual life-savers.

I won't go into detail but my wife (an ex-RN [specialized in surgery]) started taking Zoloft in 1985 and it made a new person out of her as it helped control the chemical imbalance in her central nervous system. It gave her a life!

I've seen it over and over again with patients of a friend of mine who is a psychiatrist.

Mental illness is just that... an illness. People are not 'crazy'... they are sick... and often medications can and WILL help them lead a normal, happy, productive life.

Comments like the one quoted above only serve to point out the general ignorance people STILL have about depression, anxiety, and other symptoms of DISEASE. They associate it with people who "can't cope." Until you've seen someone TRY to cope and struggle with this disease, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Taking Zoloft or Paxil or any of the other anti-depressents for, in my experience, most people is just as important and medically necessary as it is for others to take virorin, lipitor, prevacid, etc. Will they die if they don't? Probably not. But they get a life.

Al

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of you have zero formal medical training, nor do you even have much clinical contact with those who do. So you think that people who take these meds are simply unable to 'deal with sadness'? That's all it is, right?

Until you live or get close to someone who suffers from depression, you will never understand that it is a disease... and that these meds are virtual life-savers.

I won't go into detail but my wife (an ex-RN [specialized in surgery]) started taking Zoloft in 1985 and it made a new person out of her as it helped control the chemical imbalance in her central nervous system. It gave her a life!

I've seen it over and over again with patients of a friend of mine who is a psychiatrist.

Mental illness is that that... an illness. People are not 'crazy' they are sick... and often medications can and WILL help them lead a normal, happy, productive life.

Comments like the one quoted above only serve to point out the general ignorance people STILL have about depression, anxiety, and other symptoms of DISEASE. They associate it with people who "can't cope." Until you've seen someone TRY to cope and struggle with this disease, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Taking Zoloft or Paxil or any of the other anti-depressents for, in my experience, most people is just as important and medically necessary as it is for others to take virorin, lipitor, prevacid, etc. Will they die if they don't? Probably not. But they get a life.

I think that there a middle ground between these two positions that holds a lot of truth.

The fact that there are many many people who absolutely need psychotropic drugs does not mean that it isn't over-prescribed.

I know people who would probably be dead if it were not for their anti-depressants, and I know people who have absolutely no business taking them.

I think that there is a real need for these medications for certain people. But that they are over prescribed. I went through a VERY long diagnosis process last year and every doctor I saw wanted to give me anti depressants to help me "deal" with it. I actually had to argue with them that I didn't want them. Finally I took the prescription and never got it filled.

You're right Al, I do not have any formal education in medicine, but here is what I do have.

1) GF has been a RN for over 20 years.
2) My close cousin in MD owns the largest private practice in MD.
3) My mentors in college were psychiatrists/psychologists with over 30 years of experience.
4) Out of 1000+ psychology majors I was the President of the Psychology Club. I worked my ass off to help students get into Graduate School, as well as provided mentoring for students who wanted to know what path to choose. Personally, I studied Clinical Psychology.
5) I have completed extensive research on psychopharmacology and took it upon myself to keep up to date on the latest happenings with "prescription privileges" for psychotherapists.
6) Close family members who have been diagnosed with ADD, ADHD, Bi-Polar, etc. and know first hand the ups and downs of those ailments.
7) I have interned at mental health treatment centers and saw firsthand the pros/cons of people w/ severe mental health issues who took or did not take medications.

Before you jump down my back (or anyone else) you should first find out about my background/education level. That approach would engender constructive communication vs. your approach to quickly discern the heart of material without asking for clarification.

Within the last week you made a comment about being professional and keeping things private and not out in the forum and now you go ahead and pull this crap and disrespect me by insinuating I have no idea about what I'm talking about. LEARN THE FACTS FIRST!!!!!!

I do not like to be rude or disrespect others, but now have to point something out. You have crossed the line numerous times with members of the forum and and appear to have conflicting morals and that has been apparent within the last few months. Out of my 1000+ comments I have not felt the need to resort to demeaning somebody. I clarify, communicate, and agree to disagree if needed. You seem to get some type of high out of being Mr. Right.

I see a man who cannot take constructive criticism and must resort to bashing other people to make himself feel worthy. If you need that type of negative reinforcement I suggest you get out of insurance because you make people like me look bad.

Mental illness is just that... an illness. People are not 'crazy'... they are sick... and often medications can and WILL help them lead a normal, happy, productive life.

I did not make any comments about the status of any individual as being crazy or sick. I prefer terms like ailments, working through and constructive feedback vs. terms like crazy, unstable, get over (an issue), etc.

Back