Designations on Business Cards

bliss171

Expert
Hi all,

Just wanted some input on designations on cards. Do you use your designations on your cards? Why or why not? I know some feel that it gives the customer at least an idea that you know what you are talking about, and others feel that is is vain/makes you look like you are trying to be a bigshot. I have several designations, and am debating whether I should have them on my cards or not.

Thanks!

Hi all,

Just wanted some input on designations on cards. Do you use your designations on your cards? Why or why not? I know some feel that it gives the customer at least an idea that you know what you are talking about, and others feel that is is vain/makes you look like you are trying to be a bigshot. I have several designations, and am debating whether I should have them on my cards or not.

Thanks!

I have a physical therapist that has 4 sets of initials after his name. I have no clue what they stand for, only that it tells me that he's definitely qualified to be doing what he does and that he takes it seriously. (He also has two offices and a full staff of 20 people to run these offices.)

It's the financial press that makes us want to "compare sizes" of designations... and those who don't have them to say that you don't need them.

John Savage said "Get all the education you can... and then keep it to yourself, because nobody cares." Well, he himself was a CLU... and I'm sure that helped him in delivering financial advice. But if you parade around your neighborhood with your chest sticking out with a sign that says "I'm a CLU"... then you're full of yourself... and THAT'S when 'nobody cares'.

Designations need to accentuate the practitioner. If all you're doing is giving quotes and talking about yourself... then the education appears to be meaningless as anyone can give quotes and be full of themselves.

I would suggest that any professional with designations should be doing a full fact-find process with their clients. That is what separates those with the financial education and background from those who don't. Doing a full fact-find is how you shift the process from you and your products, to them and their problems.

In addition, you need to be able to explain what the designations mean - not just by how you operate, but why these designations are important to you and them. Keep it brief and use some of the tools available from the sponsoring organization.

People aren't going to buy your recommendations because you have EIEIO after your name. But people may trust your recommendations after you've shown that you listen, care, asked questions... and then explain the knowledge you've received and work hard for is going to help you put together a plan specific for them and their circumstances.

I think the IARFC does this better than just about anyone (except maybe the CFP Board).
Image Building Brochure - 3 Panel

The American College tries, but their brochures aren't as nice or detailed, IMO:
Resources - Consumer Resources - Promote Your Designation - The American College

If you feel that you're rusty on how to do a full fact-find, I think the Insurance Pro Shop offers the best training in this area. From that foundation, you can adjust and adapt it to suit other products and services you offer:
The Leading Insurance Sales & Fact- Finding Training

You can also view the fact-finding series as part of their members-only site:
IPS Insurance Marketing and Sales Resource Center

I am not affiliated with the Insurance Pro Shop - just a very satisfied client and user.

Last edited:
The thing to always keep in mind is you can only put on your business care what your OIC in your state says you can. That should always be the first place to start when looking into it.

Back