Designations

Do any of you have any professional designations that are any use to you at all? I have my series 6 that I don't use, and was thinking about getting Bachlores in Risk Management since this is a slow market. Also any of you write any Work Comp, Liability etc? If so do you usually get all the insurance business from your groups?

Do any of you have any professional designations that are any use to you at all? I have my series 6 that I don't use, and was thinking about getting Bachlores in Risk Management since this is a slow market. Also any of you write any Work Comp, Liability etc? If so do you usually get all the insurance business from your groups?

I'm doing the course work for the CLU mainly to broaden my knowledge.

My wife is a CPA and does have that on her cards and stationary. I'd have to say it does impress some people, others couldn't care less.

How you treat people and how hard you work is the going to make the main difference.

You should also check with state/federal regulatory agencies to see if there are restrictions. That, and be careful of any "designation" Larry Klein or Dean Cipriano are trying to sell you.

If someone recognizes the designation, it probably has some meaning. If it's not recognized, it won't.

The usage of designations is to help develop a trust with the prospect. If someone is a CFP, most people know what that is, and are more open to talking to the person than someone asking a bunch of personal questions.

Of course, a professional office does the same thing. If someone comes into my office, with the reception area, a receptionist to greet them, offered coffee, walked back to my office, it creates a much better impression than when they walk into an office that is cluttered, disorganized, and a bit chaotic.

So most designations aren't worth using. Most carriers are discouraging them, with an exception of a select few (LUTCF, CLU, ChFC, CFP, and the like). Of course, not many clients would know what CLU means, but the industry does, and as such, it is recognized.

Dan

Back