Desperate Need Of A PROFESSIONAL Agents Knowledge

Richardbell6691

My Name is Richard Bell, 24 years old.

I am extremely interested in selling Life Insurance, I have been in sales such as vehicle and cellular for multiple years, but looking for a career in this field.

I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to answer a few questions for me or may be able to share some wisdom as to what I should do to get started in my career path, I am located in the Palm Springs area, so I do know there is a great opportunity for me and my family to succeed out here.

I also saw a debate about tattoos showing on these forums, I have visible tattoos on my hands and that is it but in all honestly it has done nothing but help me with my past sales, especially as conversation starters as one is a Bible Verse and the Other a Rose.

If some professional wouldn't mind helping me, you would be helping a person with such a sales drive but no idea where to start. I can be contacted through my email - richardbell6691gmail I will go as far as giving as conversations over the phone to build my knowledge off any successful agent.

Thank you.

What area of insurance did you want to specialize?
- Life & Health?
- Employee Benefits?
- Retirement & Financial Planning?
- Final Expense & Medicare Supplements?

It'll be easier to give you ideas and advice once we know which direction you see yourself heading in.

----------

BTW, forums are here to share information. Ask the forum and sift through the various responses you get to see what you think would work best for you.

For a first post, asking to contact you privately... is inappropriate.

The hand tattoos will be a huge challenge, and this is a tough business without any external challenges. I have a quarter sleeve that I had done when I was stationed in Hawaii that is always covered in business settings.

Is makeup or removal an option?

Tattoos will only limit you, if you THINK it will limit you.

I am 400 lbs and 6'6" and some would say that I am Tall and Fat........ Never Stopped me.

Tattoos are an extension of our youth and vibrant personality. Learn to Love and respect who you are and a client will respect you too.

If you cannot do this, you will not make it in the insurance business.

Skipper

I a tattooed agent (well mine are on my foot and ankle so no as visible as arm or hand tats) and being honest I would not have a lot of trust in you planning my financial future. Sorry to be blunt.

Visit Palm Springs often and love Joshua Tree.

Here's what I would suggest. Visit some local offices and ask them questions and even ask to job shadow a bit. They will know the market there pretty well. The area seems very diverse in a good way.

For most prospects / clients, if you can show you have their best interests in mind and know your products & industry, you will be fine. Work hard, focus on becoming an expert in your field, and over time you will have the ability to choose who you do business with.

Sure, some may be put off by tattoos, but most of those people are looking to be put off by something or anything for an objection.

Let's face it, there is a stigma associated with tattoos. It is slowly shifting as they are becoming more and more acceptable. Think of those who are maybe 65 and older. The folks in that age group who got tattoos were usually somewhat of a hell raiser. And to some extent the same goes for the generation behind them. However, this current generation (30 and under), it's not the same way. They get tattoos as a form of expression or just for fun. My son has his name on his back in Conji(sp?) and Hebrew. He has a cool looking Tiger on his shoulder and arm. He has a cool looking heart with mom and dad on it. He also has the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on his feet and the word 'cowabunga' across his toes. I thought the turtles and word were a little ridiculous, but he says it reminds him of his childhood.

I see people in their twenties who I know are of very good moral character and they have tattoos. In another couple of decades tattoos may be no issue at all. But in the business environment, there are still preconceived notions about someone with a tattoo. Especially someone with a neck or face tattoo.

My rule of thumb, if you're going to get a tattoo and want to work in a business environment where you have to gain the public's trust, don't have any visible tattoos. And nothing vulgar because your clients could see you out in public while wearing shorts and if they happen to see something vulgar on an arm or leg, that could turn them off to working with you.

To the OP, the fact is you will be prejudged by some when they see the tattoos. Those are just the facts. But that doesn't mean you can't still be successful. I guess if you're going to have tattoos showing, a heart and scripture aren't bad things to have. And I can see how they can be conversation pieces. Just make sure it's a compelling story. That could win over some who have prejudged (assuming you get that far with them).

Maybe a question for you, why do you want to get into the insurance business?

Back