Dialer Vs. 3rd Party Telemarketing

mcnebraska

We want to find someone to start make dials for us and would like to here your opinions on hiring in house vs. 3rd party telemarketing. If it makes a difference it would be all commercial dials. Thanks!

For the record, I am not a fan of telemarketing in this business per se, but I do have some opinions on it, since I have done this...

Once upon a time, I hired a company to provide "live transfer leads". Their call center would telemarket, find people that were "interested" in saving money on auto insurance, then they would do a warm transfer to my office and we would try to write up the business. We would only pay for the transfers we accepted (well, that's how it started).

At first, we had good success. Then as time went on, the quality went down, and I pulled the plug. A major part of the problem is that I could not control the quality of the lead, yet they continued to charge me. Not to mention they had some activity which made me question their competence. So I fired them.

After that, we tried to duplicate the same thing in my office for a while. That for sure reminded me how much I hate telemarketing and how much I do not want it to be a part of my business model. So I killed that idea.

Lastly, I used regular internet leads, Not really telemarketing, but in a way it is internal telemarketing. Whist I had decent success, I decided that, again, it was not profitable enough, and I did not want it to be a part of my business model.

(So now we just work our existing book and get referrals, etc...)

At least if you do telemarketing in-house, you can control and coach your employee (or 1099 contractor). If they are not doing well, you can easily try to remedy them.

If you are going to do it in-house, you will want an autodialer such as DYL to increase productivity. (We used to use this).

No matter what you do, you better make sure your numbers are DNC scrubbed. If you are using a 3rd party from another country, they MAY make calls on your behalf WITHOUT DNC scrubbing. Ultimately, you could find yourself in a pickle and get in trouble. I would only use a reputable 3rd party that guarantees DNC scrubbing.

I hate cold calls, I hate telemarketing and I hate call centers.

We want to find someone to start make dials for us and would like to here your opinions on hiring in house vs. 3rd party telemarketing. If it makes a difference it would be all commercial dials. Thanks!

If you are looking to hire in house for at home telemarketers that work for you directly, you may want to check out Odesk.com. Just be sure to specify that they must speak 100% perfect English. If you are hiring someone out of the country be sure to specify in your hiring ad that they must have a flat rate long distance phone service (such as Vonage, BasicTalk, Magic Jack) to make unlimited long distance calls to the USA.

I've run it both ways and there really is no comparison for doing it in-house. There is more of a learning curve and it's more work, but the results and quality are way better.

In short, I have to agree with Josh as I've done it both ways before. Committing the time and energy into someone in-house gives you the ability to work with the same person vs. several, train, nurture, shadow, teach your business through osmosis, get personal buy-in, etc.

As long as you are calling companies you dont have to worry about the DNC. The only laws protecting companies from calls is if they directly ask you to stop...

You have to consider a lot of variables in determining if inhouse or outsourcing is better. In House - more control - typically more cost effective - but very time consuming

Outsourcing is a lot less micro management - but it puts a lot of trust in the vendor

Back