Did I make a mistake here?

bdp31770

Mom doesn't drive any more, so we decided to move her car from her policy to mine (she still has home insurance on her policy). This month I saw that my policy had increased, like I had agreed to with the agent on the phone. However, her car is still on her policy, so its covered twice now.

I called the insurance co and asked why it was now on both of her policies, she said that moms auto insurance policy was never cancelled, we never went through the process. Now, I cant remember my exact words to the agent when I called a few weeks ago, but I"m pretty sure I said to move her policy. I definitely didn't say we wanted one vehicle on two policies.

Also, her car on my policy is only for about 10 miles a month, because we aren't driving it right now and will probably sell it. So, the annual mileage is much less than what is was under her policy. So, I'm curious if the agent I spoke to a few weeks ago dropped the ball when I asked him to put her car on my policy? I'm pretty sure I said I wanted to MOVE her policy, but even if I didn't, is it normal to have one car on two policies, especially when I definitely told him the original policy holder isn't driving any more?

When I asked the agent today about it, she said there would be no charge for this month, so that is good. I"m just wondering what happened, and I want to have some input from others on this in case it shows up on both bills again. Thank you for any feedback.

Does mom live with you? Who is the car registered to? If mom lives with you move her and the car to your policy. If mom does not live with you there could be an issue especially if the car is registered to her. You can't insure what you don't own.
If there were 2 policies for the same vehicle you show the declaration page with effective date to mom's old insurance and get a refund for the period of duplicate coverage. This happens frequently and is not a problem. Make sure that mom is listed as a resident on your HO and Auto policy.

Mom doesn't drive any more, so we decided to move her car from her policy to mine (she still has home insurance on her policy).

Suggesting that she has her own home and is not a member of your household? Did you convey that to your agent? Did he, in turn, convey that to the insurance company?

If you concealed that fact, even unintentionally, you could have a big problem in the event of a claim.

I definitely didn't say we wanted one vehicle on two policies.

But you didn't specify that you wanted the other policy cancelled. Besides, you can't ask for somebody else's policy to be cancelled. That policyholder has to ask for it by signing a cancellation request. By the same token, the agent should have figured it out and asked about it. You're both to blame.

The lesson for the future - if you want something done with your insurance, put it in writing, email is OK, and keep a record of your request and provide the appropriate details.

Agents are busy, they have hundreds of clients. If they are writing post-it notes while handling other crises, things tend to fall through the cracks.

Also, her car on my policy is only for about 10 miles a month, because we aren't driving it right now and will probably sell it. So, the annual mileage is much less than what is was under her policy.

There is no rate classification for 10 miles per month. The pleasure/short commute use classification is generally 7500 miles or less, sometimes 5000 miles or less (varies by company). You're still going to pay the same rates as a driver who uses his/her car every day.

When I asked the agent today about it, she said there would be no charge for this month, so that is good.

Send her an email confirming that the old policy will be cancelled back to the effective date that the car when on your policy. Then follow up in a week or two to make sure it happens.

If there were 2 policies for the same vehicle you show the declaration page with effective date to mom's old insurance and get a refund for the period of duplicate coverage. This happens frequently and is not a problem.
Exactly!

The lesson for the future - if you want something done with your insurance, put it in writing,
Could not be said better.

$100 advice here from two experienced insurance pros.

Thank you for the replies everyone. We all live in her house, the homeowners insurance policy remains in her name/account. I should have mentioned that we filled out the power of attorney forms to have her car's insurance transferred to my account, so there are now two cars on my account.
The title is still in her name so I will have that changed over to me.This info is very helpful, I appreciate everyones feedback!

Thank you for the replies everyone. We all live in her house, the homeowners insurance policy remains in her name/account. I should have mentioned that we filled out the power of attorney forms to have her car's insurance transferred to my account, so there are now two cars on my account.
The title is still in her name so I will have that changed over to me.This info is very helpful, I appreciate everyones feedback!

Sounds like a plan. Clarify if you are covered as a resident relative on her home policy. If not, you wont have any coverage for your possessions nor will you have liability protection if you are sued for personal liability (non-auto accident.) If you are not covered, might be a good idea to pick up a small renters policy for yourself.

Back