Did Wordpress 5.5 Break Your Site?

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Thousands of WordPress sites have become broken since updating to WordPress 5.5. WP 5.5 deprecated support for jQuery Migrate may have caused at least 10,000 broken sites. An issue with how themes handle pagination is causing other sites to break after updating to 5.5.

The cause of some of the issues are older plugins. For others, the cause of the problem are older WordPress themes.

https://www.searchenginejournal.com/wordpress-5-5-issues/377851/

Thousands of WordPress sites have become broken since updating to WordPress 5.5. WP 5.5 deprecated support for jQuery Migrate may have caused at least 10,000 broken sites. An issue with how themes handle pagination is causing other sites to break after updating to 5.5.

The cause of some of the issues are older plugins. For others, the cause of the problem are older WordPress themes.

https://www.searchenginejournal.com/wordpress-5-5-issues/377851/

An update in early 2020 broke mine already. The premium theme I was using was "updated" but not to the specs needed I guess. 4 websites broken that I had to go in and totally change themes on. Then dont get me started on the PHP updates via my host earlier this year... that was probably my fault for not updating sooner.... idk.

Biggest pain about WP are updates screwing stuff up on your theme or plugins. Of course its a double edged sword because one of the best things about using WP are the thousands of themes/plugins available.

I think finding a quality theme is the most important aspect of building a WP site. Ive used premium themes that are terrible. Ive used free themes that do really great for being free. Its the hardest part to judge imo.

@scagnt83 I feel your pain.

The good news is, many themes and plugins are updated with some frequency. The "SEO" plugins seem to be more on top of things than anything else.

The bad news is, many themes and plugins are updated with some frequency. Sometimes a "fix" will break something else.

Of course you can always pay someone an arm and a leg to build you a site from scratch. But that has it's challenges too. It's rarely if ever updated, especially for security flaws. Many of those sites use Flash which creates problems for browsers including Chrome.

My rule of thumb on themes and ESPECIALLY plugins, is to see how old they are, how often are they updated, and are they authored by Russians or Chinese.

I use Genesis parent/child themes. They seem to be reasonably secure with minimal flaws. However most of the Genesis plugins are old and have never been updated.

I had used a lot of WP before and it never failed, as soon as I would get the site like I wanted, an update would kill something or a plug etc.....you're right, what makes it great, makes it horrible.

I usually roll dice on the smaller ones (5.4 to 5.5 for example). I only tend to get nervous when I'm skipping versions (going from 3 to 5 for example).

A lot of the software people put in a site can conflict, so unless the theme is design with the particular plugins and add-ons in mind, it's surprising how disrupting changing a few lines of code can be.

Back