Didn't Switch Newly Bought Car to Insurance and Now Accident

davidcarmichael

Hi. Long story short, I bought a used car (I'll refer to as 'new' here) 36 days ago from a dealership. They said they would 'take care of everything' like the registration, etc. They took my insurance card as well.

I was driving in the rain and the street was flooded, causing my engine to go out. Now they are saying I'll need a new engine, which will cost $18,000 - and I only paid $12,000 for this car.

I've had insurance with Progressive for over 2 years but they only had my old car on file. I called and they said they will not cover the new car since I didn't call about it before hand. They have a grace period of 30 days but it's 36 days so I don't get anything.

Half the people I've told this about say it's my fault for not calling and I have to pay this out of pocket. The other half say that their dealership made them switch insurance on the spot before they get their car.

Also, I have a registration for the new car from the DMV. Someone told me that it's fraudulent for the dealership to even get that without having my insurance switched to this car and that technically the car should still remain covered under the dealership's insurance.

This is all in Virginia, BTW (though the flooded road was in MD). Do I have a case here at all and should I contact an attorney?

My gut tells me that you are out in the cold but I would talk to an attorney. The problem with an attorney is that you can quickly burn through $12,000 in legal fees if you go to court. What kind of car takes a $18,000 engine?

Hi. Long story short, I bought a used car (I'll refer to as 'new' here) 36 days ago from a dealership. They said they would 'take care of everything' like the registration, etc. They took my insurance card as well.

I was driving in the rain and the street was flooded, causing my engine to go out. Now they are saying I'll need a new engine, which will cost $18,000 - and I only paid $12,000 for this car.

I've had insurance with Progressive for over 2 years but they only had my old car on file. I called and they said they will not cover the new car since I didn't call about it before hand. They have a grace period of 30 days but it's 36 days so I don't get anything.

Half the people I've told this about say it's my fault for not calling and I have to pay this out of pocket. The other half say that their dealership made them switch insurance on the spot before they get their car.

Also, I have a registration for the new car from the DMV. Someone told me that it's fraudulent for the dealership to even get that without having my insurance switched to this car and that technically the car should still remain covered under the dealership's insurance.

This is all in Virginia, BTW (though the flooded road was in MD). Do I have a case here at all and should I contact an attorney?

This is a double post.

Didn't Switch Newly Bought Car to Insurance and Now Accident <--- Click on your other post and read what people said to your 1st post.

Bottom line, it is all your fault and you should not blame the ins company or the dealer for your mistake.

Back