Diff Between Follow Up and Treated for MedSupp Apps

yorkriver1

Guru
1000 Post Club
Virginia
Referral for 71YO, non-tobacco, possible ht/wt issue, cancer clear for 5 years, surgery 2 years ago, spine. Rate increase to about $330/mo.

So, when app asks about diagnosis, def. have date, surgery, have date. Does follow up for cancer count as treatment? If so, then the semi-annual, soon to be annual check by doc would knock that out.

Has plan F, if can get through underwriting, could suggest Plan G, but that narrows carriers.

Most of my work has been with T65 or MAPD so far, but branching out into older ages on medsupp.

Last edited:
Typically the window begins after specific treatment ends. For example if a client had surgery 5 years ago(or biopsy, chemo ending, prostate removal, etc) and now follows up every 6 months for blood work the carrier would say they were last treated 5 years ago.

Ok, good. Now, I have 2 carriers that will do without underwriting, but not Anthem, the carrier insured requested, probably due to brand familiarity.
One rate is actually competitive with Anthem rate.

I say why go through medical underwriting, when other carrier has actually a bit lower rate.

Last edited:
Ok, good. Now, the deal is which carrier might do this with 4 years ago cancer. UHC looks good, may just go with it, still saves over $100/mo, passes all the medical condition questions.
Why draw it out for 9/1, then get rejection.

Aetna(Over 3 years), Cigna(Over 2 years), Companion Life(Over 2 years), CSI Life(Over 3 years), Cigna Substandard(Over 2 years), Equitable(Over 2 years), Heartland(Over 2 years), Manhattan(Over 5 years), Medico(Over 5 years), New Era(Over 5 years), Oxford(Over 3 years), Sentinel Security(Over 2 years), Standard Life 7 Accident(Over 2 years), UNL(Over 2 years).

I am not being too convincing about saving money with carriers the client hasn't heard of.
They don't get how regimented the payment system is. I do have concerns over pricing. I recall that folks may have options when 2020 arrives, or maybe not.
Recheck the Plan G idea.
Is now buying due to frequency of rate increases with MoO. Not sure if UHC will be lots lower over time.
I do think it's good to flee MoO, however, with their close book/let rates go up plans.

Client now says MoO not as high as she thought, but that the frequency of rate increases is disturbing. Still wants UHC. Will look at Aetna UW, more conditions were mentioned on last call. Appt today. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back