Difference Between Plan C and Select C

Bob_The_Insurance_Guy

Guru
1000 Post Club
Decatur, Ga.
Can someone enlighten me on the difference between the Plan C Medicare Supplement Plan offered by AARP and the Plan C Select, other than the fact that there "are certain hospital restrictions" with the Select Plan.

Anybody got any specifics? I'm in the State of Georgia.

Thanks.

The only diffrence that i am aware of is that select plan c requires you to use a network of doctors and hospitals but the plan is the same as plan c medigap. not to be confused with plan c medicare advantage plans

Can someone enlighten me on the difference between the Plan C Medicare Supplement Plan offered by AARP and the Plan C Select, other than the fact that there "are certain hospital restrictions" with the Select Plan.

Anybody got any specifics? I'm in the State of Georgia.

Thanks.

Bob,

Here is the difference:

If you’re looking for a Medicare Supplemental Insurance Plan to accompany your Medicare, SELECT Supplemental Insurance offers you a variety of choices. Medicare SELECT plans are essentially lower-cost versions of traditional Medigap Insurance Policies.
The only difference is that Medicare’s SELECT Policies operate like managed care plans. What does that mean? It simply means you’re required to use “in-network” doctors and hospitals, and your carrier will only pay your full benefits if you’ve obtained your medical care from a "preferred" health provider who’s part of the insurers’ designated network.
For instance, whenever you visit a preferred provider, Medicare will pay its approved charges and your supplemental insurer will pay the full benefits provided for by your policy. Whenever you venture outside your plan’s network for, your SELECT plan might deny payment or fail to pay the full amount.
Here are the 3 most important things to remember about Medicare SELECT Plans:

1. Medicare’s SELECT Plans are Medicare supplemental health insurance products. They’re almost identical to standard Medigap insurance. When you purchase one of Medicare’s SELECT policies, you’re buying a standard Medigap plan.
  2. The only difference between one of Medicare’s SELECT plans and a standard Medigap plan is that Medicare SELECT policies are managed care plans.
  3. In order to be eligible for the full benefits of your SELECT Plan, you’ll be required to use specific clinics and hospitals, and sometimes specific doctors. That's why Medicare SELECT Plans usually have lower premiums than comparable Medigap policies.
I cannot claim full credit for this, it came from:

The 3 Things You Should Know About Medicare SELECT Plans

The only select policies I've ever written have.....choice of any doctor + network of hospitals you must use, unless it's an emergency, then any hospital can be used.

Anthem BC CA has a couple of Select supplements. Choice is VERY limited, I think I counted less than 25 hospitals in the entire state (traditional networks has almost 500). Same applies to physicians, greatly reduced number of providers from which to select.

SELECT=Use our restricted (read low cost & cheap) network and we'll save you some money (because you saved us a bunch of money).

In Illinois BC/BS med select requires use of select hospitals for planned hospital stays. You can go to any doctor.

Anthem BC CA has a couple of Select supplements. Choice is VERY limited, I think I counted less than 25 hospitals in the entire state (traditional networks has almost 500). Same applies to physicians, greatly reduced number of providers from which to select.

SELECT=Use our restricted (read low cost & cheap) network and we'll save you some money (because you saved us a bunch of money).

Actually, all of the plans (except A) are select because they only cover the Part B deductible when you use their network physicians.

This is one of the reasons I haven't used them for years. Okay, the other is that they're more expensive than my other standard carriers.

Rick

Back