Different policy number?

Limozine

Super Genius
While going through some of my recently deceased mother's papers, I found an old life insurance policy from Life and Casualty Insurance Company of Tennessee. The insured on the certificate was my grandmother, who passed away in 1993. After some investigation I found that Life and Casualty Insurance Company of Tennessee was bought out by American General. I decided to call to see if there was any chance that the benefit was never claimed.

I finally got through to a live person at AIG, and he found the number but said that it was in the name of a completely different person. We tried several possibilities but none worked. Any suggestions?

Is it normal for carriers to reassign policy numbers after the death of the insured?

I haven't seen that.

It is a certificate?
Verify the number you wrote down was the certficate number.
Make sure you are calling the correct AIG department.
Give them her SSN, may be on a copy of the app in the back of the cert

While going through some of my recently deceased mother's papers, I found an old life insurance policy from Life and Casualty Insurance Company of Tennessee. The insured on the certificate was my grandmother, who passed away in 1993. After some investigation I found that Life and Casualty Insurance Company of Tennessee was bought out by American General. I decided to call to see if there was any chance that the benefit was never claimed.

I finally got through to a live person at AIG, and he found the number but said that it was in the name of a completely different person. We tried several possibilities but none worked. Any suggestions?

Is it normal for carriers to reassign policy numbers after the death of the insured?

are you sure it was bought out by American general rather than General American. They were two different companies and both had bought companies up in Tennessee.
General American went belly up in their policies were maintained by either Prudential or Metlife I’m thinking it’s Metlife.
But unfortunately every single one that I’ve run into and it’s been dozens and dozens of them were all UL’s and all were way under funded and crashed.

I haven't seen that.

It is a certificate?
Verify the number you wrote down was the certficate number.
Make sure you are calling the correct AIG department.
Give them her SSN, may be on a copy of the app in the back of the cert
L&C was a stock company so it would not be a certificate unless maybe it was a group plan. There should be a copy if the application attached to the policy.. Make a copy of it and the dec page and send it to AIG with a formal inquiry about the coverage.

On that subject, even if you come across a policy that has been lapsed several years, don't do away with it before checking it out. Could be the coverage is still in force under the extended term provision or a reduced amount under the reduced paid up provision. Just paid a claim on a lady who had been in a nursing home and the family had dropped the policy 5 years ago..

are you sure it was bought out by American general rather than General American. They were two different companies and both had bought companies up in Tennessee.
General American went belly up in their policies were maintained by either Prudential or Metlife I’m thinking it’s Metlife.
But unfortunately every single one that I’ve run into and it’s been dozens and dozens of them were all UL’s and all were way under funded and crashed.
L&C and National Life and Accident were merged together to form American General Life and Accident (AGLA) which was acquired by AIG..

Latest posts

Back