Direct Appointment with Carrier

What the minimum volume requirement to get direct appointment with a P&C carrier, for personal line (Home & Auto)?

Standard
Sub-Standard

It depends on the carrier. I'm still in the beginning/research stages, but from what I've read on here, Progressive seems to be relatively easy to obtain a direct appt with. Also, it depends on what state you are in, because you want to have appointments with companies that are competitively priced in your area.

Just spoke with Iroquois MI regional manager and was turned down. Requirement are minimum 3 years of P&C and verifiable L&P report.

Not to mention minimum of $500K premium.

Last edited:
why don't you look into superior access or insurance noodle. They are more of a wholesaler then a cluster but at least you can write business through them for a little while until you can get something better

why don't you look into superior access or insurance noodle. They are more of a wholesaler then a cluster but at least you can write business through them for a little while until you can get something better

I read alot through here, that you're not able to provide quote right away to your prospect, and that's a negative to me.

I read alot through here, that you're not able to provide quote right away to your prospect, and that's a negative to me.

Agreed, specifically for personal lines it is difficult to explain to a prospect why a quote takes 24-48 hrs to turn around. In my humble opinion find a mentor willing to let you write the business on his books until you are able to prove yourself to the carriers then take it back slowly at renewal. You have to be willing to go down the road to success and do whatever it takes to succeed.

If you have experience you may be able to get progressive. Once you've got progressive you may be able to get foremost. I left a captive situation a little over a year ago and have 4 years experience in the business. I'm just now about to finish my first direct appointment with Progressive. I spoke with someone at foremost a while ago and they said that they couldn't appoint me with out another carrier. Maybe they'll take me once I've got progressive.

You may have better luck looking for an agency to contract with to place business. They'll take a split on commission but they'll have companies and CSR's to service the day to day needs of your clients.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
And about progressive, according to the licensing person I spoke with yesterday they don't offer home, condo, or renters policies in Michigan. So you may be able to get them, but for auto, cycle, rv.

Last edited:
If you have experience you may be able to get progressive. Once you've got progressive you may be able to get foremost. I left a captive situation a little over a year ago and have 4 years experience in the business. I'm just now about to finish my first direct appointment with Progressive. I spoke with someone at foremost a while ago and they said that they couldn't appoint me with out another carrier. Maybe they'll take me once I've got progressive.

You may have better luck looking for an agency to contract with to place business. They'll take a split on commission but they'll have companies and CSR's to service the day to day needs of your clients.
And about progressive, according to the licensing person I spoke with yesterday they don't offer home, condo, or renters policies in Michigan. So you may be able to get them, but for auto, cycle, rv.

After a year of being Indy you are just getting progressive now? I thought they were easier to get then that.

And I heard superior access now has a comparative rate so you give a prospect a quote you just don't have binding authority?

I've been writing with an agency that takes a share of my p&c commissions. I started applying for direct appointments last august and hit wall after wall. I've placed all of my business with the agency and now for the first time will be able to place my own business with out a commission split.

A comparative rater is nice if it's accurate... and, so is binding authority. We are licensed and insured professionals. My experience as a P&C focused agent is that speed matters. People want to save money or get better coverage but they want it 5 minutes ago and they can get it anywhere.

I've been writing with an agency that takes a share of my p&c commissions. I started applying for direct appointments last august and hit wall after wall. I've placed all of my business with the agency and now for the first time will be able to place my own business with out a commission split.

A comparative rater is nice if it's accurate... and, so is binding authority. We are licensed and insured professionals. My experience as a P&C focused agent is that speed matters. People want to save money or get better coverage but they want it 5 minutes ago and they can get it anywhere.

indy, I agreed with you. As a professional I need to act professionally and conduct my business professionally.

Just by delaying in quoting a prospect is a huge negative to me.
Agreed, specifically for personal lines it is difficult to explain to a prospect why a quote takes 24-48 hrs to turn around. In my humble opinion find a mentor willing to let you write the business on his books until you are able to prove yourself to the carriers then take it back slowly at renewal. You have to be willing to go down the road to success and do whatever it takes to succeed.

Thanks. How would writing business on his book help me prove to prospecting carriers my volume? P&L report?

Last edited:
Back