Direct Bill Medicare for DME? WTF is a Medicare Carrier"?

My client (before he was my client) bought a DME scooter from Amazon, he couldn't find
any other provider, time was critical, etc. Now he's trying to get reimbursed from medicare and his medsup, been given a form and told to submit it to his "medicare carrier". The form he was given provides an address that starts with Cigna. He sent it there once with no response.

The whole thing is under $200, Medicare approved amount probably 50% or so. Just an exercise in customer service for me. Been selling MA and meds sups since 2008, never heard of a Medicare carrier before. Thought the feds were the medicare carrier unless they subbed it out to the MA companies.

My client (before he was my client) bought a DME scooter from Amazon, he couldn't find
any other provider, time was critical, etc. Now he's trying to get reimbursed from medicare and his medsup, been given a form and told to submit it to his "medicare carrier". The form he was given provides an address that starts with Cigna. He sent it there once with no response.

The whole thing is under $200, Medicare approved amount probably 50% or so. Just an exercise in customer service for me. Been selling MA and meds sups since 2008, never heard of a Medicare carrier before. Thought the feds were the medicare carrier unless they subbed it out to the MA companies.

They're administrators:

"Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC): Beginning in 2008, Medicare began replacing fiscal intermediaries, carriers and Regional Home Health Intermediaries with Medicare Administrative Contractors (MACs). These MACs will process claims for both Medicare Part A and Part B in assigned regions. To find who you should call with billing issues, and whether your state has already been assigned to a MAC region, call 800-MEDICARE."

he is probably out of luck since Amazon is not Medicare approved DME supplier

https://www.medicare.gov/what-medicare-covers/part-b/dme-bidding-program-where-to-get-supplies.html

"if you have Original Medicare coverage, Medicare will only help pay for these items and supplies if they're provided by contract suppliers."

The worst part of it, is these non Medicare approved DME supplier do not say it will not be paid by medicare, They simply say you need to bill medicare to see if you get reimbursed, It's misleading and will cost seniors on a fixed income money they should not have to part with

Back