Direct Carrier Versus Cluster

TylerP

Expert
I am just now starting my research to open up my own independent office. A little background for you guys is that I have been selling in 2 different offices for State Farm (Texas and KS) over the past 2 years and both were new market agencies. All I have done since I joined State Farm is call out and sale. I don't get many freebies and I don't get many policies just handed to me. I have worked for every policy I have wrote and I have put a lot of time into doing my own prospecting and marketing. As I have grown to become decent at my craft, I've started to become impatient with being a SF team member. I work very hard to close my prospects, I get a one time commission, and then I send the policy into the books where I will no longer benefit from them. I had aspirations to become a State Farm agent but in a nut shell, I don't want to be forced to be a financial planner (where SF agents are headed) and I don't want SF on my back to break the bank and succeed, even if I wrote a 100 cars per month. I am turning 26 here and I feel like this is a perfect time to look at other options.

Okay, enough of my soap box. My point is, I am ready to start an independent agency and I want to (obviously) do everything right from the get-go. I know that's not going to be possible but I can at least research enough to get a solid business plan going. The big debate that I have read about is whether or not you should go with a direct carrier appointments or join a cluster. Which holds more potential for earnings and which is even doable for a person without a book? I've heard direct carriers usually want some form of book prior to starting with them, so is cluster my only option as a scratch agency?

Now, I may be WAY off base with there even being a debate about the two but from what I read, those are two different paths you can take? Let me know!

Since you are still in planning stages I would contact a few direct carriers to discuss the possibility of joining them and see what they have to say and what type of premium commitment they would require in your first year.

I went the cluster route with just a few direct appointments so I could get access to multiple big name carriers (Travelers, MetLife, Encompass, AAA, The Hartford, Allstate)

Good Luck!

Depending on your state, Erie is one of the only (good)carriers left that will partner with a scratch agent. Might be worth taking a look

Thanks for the input guys.

I will do a little bit of research and I guess go from there.

Hardest part of starting this whole thing up is trying to know what decision is going to pan out the best for my first couple of years. I just don't want to make a mistake and have this whole IA thing put a bad taste in my mouth.

Back