Direct Mail for Employee Benefits

sbg_ben

Super Genius
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone on here has had much success with doing direct mail pieces for employee benefits. We have one that is pretty much made up but I'm just interested to see if people are seeing success with this method for that LOB. Any tips or tricks appreciated!

Thanks,
Ben :GEEK:

Seems like there aren't many active group health agents on here. If there are no one wants to share any suggestions ‍♂️

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone on here has had much success with doing direct mail pieces for employee benefits. We have one that is pretty much made up but I'm just interested to see if people are seeing success with this method for that LOB. Any tips or tricks appreciated!

Thanks,
Ben :GEEK:

I have been in the group space for 35 years and cannot remember too many people having success with direct mail campaign. It can be done, but it is slow and tedious. To begin with, I do not believe this can be done by an outside service. You are trying to target a very specific person in an organization, and the decision maker for benefits is not always easily identifiable. The direct mail I have seen are programs done in-house, with information gathered over years. Step 1 is having the correct contact information, which is the biggest hurdle, then maintaining it as the changes occur. Depending on your market, the contact/decision maker can be very difficult to determine. But if you can maintain this and put together a good campaign, it can work.

Last edited:
I appreciate your response. It is really difficult to identify the DM for benefits without making contact with the group that is for sure. Seems to vary a lot by company size as well.

What have you found to be the most effective marketing tool over the past 35 years? I'm picking up groups but just not quickly enough. I'm doing some emails targeted at a specific type of business and and I'm getting a couple interesting bites.

Trying to do some cold calls but I'm pretty bad on the phone. Get nervous and shaky voice which doesn't really happen face to face when I'm prospecting.

Meeting with a couple financial planners to see if I can find new business that way. Trying a bit of everything, I'm hoping I will see some more results soon

I’ve run direct marketing campaigns over the years.
Technique 1.
Call get contacts name, mail info then call. Closure rate about 2%.
Techniques 2
Mail two different pieces to contact in 2 week period. Closure rate 0%
Technique 3
Mail to contact promoting website, used the bar code squiggles. Uptick in traffic but not enough for ROI.

I have not ran a mailing campaign for 5+ years. I’m actually getting ready to run one with technique 1. I already have contacts names that should be somewhat accurate. Cost is $.67 per mailing.

Couple things, If you are new to benefits, go after small groups, even micros. Target specific industries, Blue collar companies are more likely to answer a mailer and phone call.

The best industry for direct mailers is advertising and marketing firms.

There ya go, happy hunting.

Latest posts

Back