Direct Mail

dvd493 said:
James,

I did send it out with a self addressed, stamped envelope included. The reason I sent out so many is because of Thanksgiving and Christmas season. I figured from the get go it would be a small return. Still .5% of 10,000 is 50 people. It won't take many sales to make my money back if that is what it produces but, so far nothing. I'll know for sure in another week or two if it was worth it or not.

You enclosed a stamped return envelope? Are you saying you put a stamp on the envelopes for them to return? If so how did you get the cost to come in at 4 grand? That is if we are talking two stamps or 20 thousand stamps not 10 thousand stamps?

Good catch - I missed that. You sent out 10,000 letters with a return stamp? That's 80 cents per mailing or $8,000. So you definitely will not break even.

john_petrowski said:
Good catch - I missed that. You sent out 10,000 letters with a return stamp? That's 80 cents per mailing or $8,000. So you definitely will not break even.

I hope he meant a replier done as a envelope.

dvd493 said:
The reason I sent out so many is because of Thanksgiving and Christmas season.

and why did you do this....so your mailer will get lost in all the holiday mailers...

James said:
john_petrowski said:

What I meant is one of those return envelopes that is pre printed with a stamp already on it that is given to you by the post office. I only have to pay for that stamp if it is returned to my post office box. I hope that explains it. It is my first run so I don't have all the technical language for it. How I got all 10,000 out for 4,000 is I used a professional mail service. They get discounts we can't get. You can find them in the yellow pages.

dvd493 said:
James said:
john_petrowski said:

What I meant is one of those return envelopes that is pre printed with a stamp already on it that is given to you by the post office. I only have to pay for that stamp if it is returned to my post office box. I hope that explains it. It is my first run so I don't have all the technical language for it. How I got all 10,000 out for 4,000 is I used a professional mail service. They get discounts we can't get. You can find them in the yellow pages.

They call that a Mail Replier, I'm glad I was wondering when you said stamped envelope! Wow that would be an expensive way to go!

I really wish that direct mail was effective enough to make decent profit. I'd like nothing better than to simply mail out a few thousand pieces per week and just write business. I just haven't see it work out that way. The last time I sent them out I did 2,000 at 40 cents a pop. $800 in marketing money and I didn't write a single deal. I got about 5 calls and it was all junk.

Good news,

I just got back from the post office and had 12 return envelopes inside. Four of them are bogus but the other eight can be called. I have one who is very old and a couple who are very overweight so it will be interesting to see how this all plays out. I'll be calling them all over the next 24 hours to set appointments. Wish me luck!

Direct mail works if...

1. You can mail to a targeted market
2. You mail on a regular basis--most responses come after the fifth time receiving your piece.

My last mailing is at 2.56% response so far and leads are still coming in.

Back