Direct Mail

I think what is extremly important to note through this entire thread about Direct Mail response - isnt whether its a post card or an envelope or a "piece of wood" (as someone mentioned). But more importantly, what are you offering? Why would I pick up the phone to call you or return something in the mail to you if I am not compelled to act? The best Direct Mailers in the country (big and small) fully understand this - YOUR MESSAGE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING! Offer them something of value - your knowledge, your expertise, a free quote, a cup of coffee from Charbucks- but your offer must, must compel them to action.

The best Direct Mailers in the country (big and small) fully understand this - YOUR MESSAGE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING! Offer them something of value - your knowledge, your expertise, a free quote, a cup of coffee from Charbucks- but your offer must, must compel them to action.

Politely disagree.

Successful direct mail marketers will tell you universally that "THE LIST" is the most important component in a mailing.

The offer/message IS important, but a bad offer to a good list will outpull a good offer to a bad list every single time.

"THE LIST" is the most important component in a mailing.

"These are the new leads. These are the Glengarry leads. And to you they're gold, and you don't get them. Why? Because to give them to you would be throwing them away. They're for closers."

Oh, I do love that movie.

The leads, the leads. Where are the good leads? These old leads are crap. I've seen this deadbeat's name a dozen times.

I'm targeting Homeowners for their home insurance with Postcards, flyers & envelope pieces.

I've gotten a 1-2% return with a decent closing ration (about 50%). I'm sending out about 1,000 per month, targeting the same homes over and over. I'm sure 99% of my mailers are thrown away before they're even looked at, but I then follow up with phone calls and they are more likely to recognize that I'm a name they've seen before.

I feel that with Direct Mailing, no matter if it's postcards or envelopes that it's all about repetition. I went to a CA Blue Cross seminar a few weeks ago, and the Blue + Rep speaking said that if we were doing direct mail for marketing, we would need to touch a person an average of 16 times before they warm up to you. I couldn't believe that number.

The Final Thought, as Jerry would say, is that no matter what type of Direct Mailing, the prospect will never call you, you always need to call them.

A prospect will call you never, you must follow up with them or no dice.

I'm targeting Homeowners for their home insurance with Postcards, flyers & envelope pieces.

I've gotten a 1-2% return with a decent closing ration (about 50%). I'm sending out about 1,000 per month, targeting the same homes over and over. I'm sure 99% of my mailers are thrown away before they're even looked at, but I then follow up with phone calls and they are more likely to recognize that I'm a name they've seen before.

I feel that with Direct Mailing, no matter if it's postcards or envelopes that it's all about repetition. I went to a CA Blue Cross seminar a few weeks ago, and the Blue + Rep speaking said that if we were doing direct mail for marketing, we would need to touch a person an average of 16 times before they warm up to you. I couldn't believe that number.

The Final Thought, as Jerry would say, is that no matter what type of Direct Mailing, the prospect will never call you, you always need to call them.

A prospect will call you never, you must follow up with them or no dice.

A very interesting post. A few random thoughts:

Sixteen times to warm up? Hogwash. If the guy knew anything about direct mail marketing, think he'd be working as a rep for Blue Cross?

The prospect WILL contact you if you 1) use a great list, and 2) make a relevant offer. They may choose to call you, or they may choose to respond electronically (it's 2008 ya know). Give 'em a choice!

If you make the same 'ole lame, boring offer that everyone else does, then you'll get the same 'ole lame, boring 1% return that people get. Then you have to get on the phone and try to pound them into submission.

Try this on for size...

"If I Can't Save You Money On Your Homeowner's Insurance, I'll Send You a Check For $250."

Think that would get any more attention/response than the stale dung being mailed?

Yet another thread that had died a year and a half ago, and is now running again, as if there hadn't been a break.

Think about it, back when this thread started, postage was $0.40 a letter. More impressively, John was thinking about hiring a telemarketer, and most of us weren't registered on the board.

I guess it's good to bring back the nostalgia every once in a while....

Dan

Yet another thread that had died a year and a half ago, and is now running again, as if there hadn't been a break.

Think about it, back when this thread started, postage was $0.40 a letter. More impressively, John was thinking about hiring a telemarketer, and most of us weren't registered on the board.

I guess it's good to bring back the nostalgia every once in a while....

Dan
There is a saying that goes something like, "what was once old is now new again."

Rick

My Pricing is a lot better than what Health Agent Guru is saying for direct mail. I also specialize in appointment settings and lists.

Please contact me if your in need of any of the products I have to offer.

Best regards,

Tom Ryan
Marketing Professional
1-866-507-9089

Back