Disability for musician

thatdguy

Expert
I have a musician who is looking for disability insurance that would cover him if something happened to a hang or his voice.

most policies are only 24 months max. He is looking for something more permanent. Seems like a tough one, especially because of the nature of his career.

any suggestions on this? He is looking for up to $4,000/mo

thanks!

Do you know what kind of arena he plays in. If he plays in night clubs and/or disco's or tours with a group he aint getting nothing. If he plays in Concert halls, Theatres or Symphonies he can likely get 5-10 years of coverage via IM, MM or Guardian. IM would likely be the cheapest but they don't have the greatest DI definitions as in Own Occupation or not as well written as with Guardian, Standard or Union. You can always try Assurity too, watch the actual wording on the definition of occupation.

I have a musician who is looking for disability insurance that would cover him if something happened to a hang or his voice.

most policies are only 24 months max. He is looking for something more permanent. Seems like a tough one, especially because of the nature of his career.

thanks!

what's a "hang"? You mean "hand"? Depending on what type of music he plays, you may want to press for life insurance and make sure he understands the suicide clause.

Never sold one of their policies, I can not seem to find the Occupation List nor a definition of disability. Both being crucial for such a case with a musician. Oh well, I'll go back to there site see what I'm missing. I see they do Musicians, so does everyone else, just not all musicians. Of course I'm sure if Kieth Richards wanted DI he could get it, even though I couldn't imagine the cost!:D I'm thinking a Concert Piano Player would have an easier time at it.

PIU is a surplus lines underwriter. They can do anything most traditional carriers can't (or wont).

thanks!

How would a musician know when he actually transitioned into the disabled lifestyle from the working lifestyle?

"Wow Dude! This is gonna be real different for me. I used to lay around stewing in my own juices till about 8:00 pm and then go hang out at the bar."

"Now with this whole disability thing I'll have to lay around till about 8:00pm and then go hang out at the bar but kind of limp a little bit."

thanks!

Not to forget that one must actually have income in order to qualify. You cant just specify how much you want if you become disabled. Also, be damn sure that you dont get a cheesy policy even if you find one. If it is not an "own occupation" definition of disability then that is not going to work.

Winter

Surplus lines carriers have the ability to write a plan with a lump sum payout based on specific definitions or disabling conditions. They are not bound by the normal hoops traditional carriers use, which would include an own occ definition.

Back