Disabled American Veteran

Discussion in 'Final Expense Forum' started by AOKING, Jun 17, 2013.

1. AOKING

AOKING Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hey guys,

Was out door knocking leads the other day and ran into a guy who says he thinks he may get some kind of special "death benefit" for being a Disabled American Veteran.

Anybody know about this?

2. WinoBlues

WinoBlues Well-Known Member

State:

Good time to learn something about VA benefits. Going forward you will run into more and more vets. I do not have a link on my tablet but Google veterans burial benefits.

Lee

3. Cornelius

Cornelius Well-Known Member

State:

I think all the VA will give is $300.00..Don't quote me on this..

4. jdeasy

jdeasy Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Not so fast there. A disabled vet, especially if the disability is service related, is different story.

5. houcoogster

houcoogster Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Here it is not great not too bad:

http://benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/factsheets/burials/Burial.pdf

HOW MUCH DOES VA PAY?

Non-service-Related Death.

For deaths on or after October 1, 2011, VA will pay up to $700.00
    toward burial and funeral expenses (if hospitalized by VA at time of death), or $300 toward burial and
    funeral expenses (if not hospitalized by VA at time of death), and a $700.00 plot-interment allowance
    (if not buried in a national cemetery).

For deaths on or after December 1, 2001, but before October 1, 2011 VA will pay up to $300.00 toward burial and funeral expenses and a $300.00 plot-interment
    allowance. The plot-interment allowance is $150.00 for deaths prior to December 1, 2001. If the
    death happened while the Veteran was in a VA hospital or under VA contracted nursing home care,
    some of all of the costs for transporting the Veteran’s remains may be reimbursed. An annual
    increase in burial and plot allowances, for deaths occurring after October 1, 2011, begins in fiscal year
    2013 based on the Consumer Price Index for the preceding 12-month period.

6. WinoBlues

State:

Suggestion: Keep a pdf copy or paper copy in your kit. Many older Vets think the VA will pay for everything.

7. AnonymousOne

AnonymousOne Well-Known Member

State:

Great link. Another thing to add, all of those benefits are reimbursed, requiring a paid in full bill and paperwork submitted to the VA. Some beneficiaries may have a problem with that.

8. deadhead

deadhead Well-Known Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the info. I have had vets tell me that they are doing to be buried in a veteran cemetery and all expenses are covered.

9. WinoBlues

State:

They/we get a plot and marker or niche, Military service and a flag at a National Cemetery.

10. houcoogster

houcoogster Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I will add one more thing to this. In Houston VA cemetery after the service member is buried the spouse can be stacked on top of the Vet. Not the other way around. Keep in mind all costs associated with this are the spouses responsibility. This could have changed but it was this way 10 years or so ago.