Disabled American Veteran

AOKING

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Hey guys,

Was out door knocking leads the other day and ran into a guy who says he thinks he may get some kind of special "death benefit" for being a Disabled American Veteran.

Anybody know about this?

Hey guys,

Was out door knocking leads the other day and ran into a guy who says he thinks he may get some kind of special "death benefit" for being a Disabled American Veteran.

Anybody know about this?

Good time to learn something about VA benefits. Going forward you will run into more and more vets. I do not have a link on my tablet but Google veterans burial benefits.

Lee

Not so fast there. A disabled vet, especially if the disability is service related, is different story.

Here it is not great not too bad:

http://benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/factsheets/burials/Burial.pdf

HOW MUCH DOES VA PAY?

Non-service-Related Death.

For deaths on or after October 1, 2011, VA will pay up to $700.00
toward burial and funeral expenses (if hospitalized by VA at time of death), or $300 toward burial and
funeral expenses (if not hospitalized by VA at time of death), and a $700.00 plot-interment allowance
(if not buried in a national cemetery).

For deaths on or after December 1, 2001, but before October 1, 2011 VA will pay up to $300.00 toward burial and funeral expenses and a $300.00 plot-interment
allowance. The plot-interment allowance is $150.00 for deaths prior to December 1, 2001. If the
death happened while the Veteran was in a VA hospital or under VA contracted nursing home care,
some of all of the costs for transporting the Veteran’s remains may be reimbursed. An annual
increase in burial and plot allowances, for deaths occurring after October 1, 2011, begins in fiscal year
2013 based on the Consumer Price Index for the preceding 12-month period.

Great link. Another thing to add, all of those benefits are reimbursed, requiring a paid in full bill and paperwork submitted to the VA. Some beneficiaries may have a problem with that.

Thanks for the info. I have had vets tell me that they are doing to be buried in a veteran cemetery and all expenses are covered.

I will add one more thing to this. In Houston VA cemetery after the service member is buried the spouse can be stacked on top of the Vet. Not the other way around. Keep in mind all costs associated with this are the spouses responsibility. This could have changed but it was this way 10 years or so ago.

Back