Divorced Parents and Car Insurance

ker097

I'm 18 and I'm claiming domicile with my father in NJ (I've always lived there, but my mom is moving out of state and I don't want to go with her). My grandma is going to give me her car, and my mom wants to register and insure it in her state but the problem is I'd living in another. But I can't be on the insurance unless I have a license in the state she's living in from what I've been told (NC). Anyone have a solution?

It needs to be registered and insured in the state it is driven in. No fair paying lower insurance rates than other states if you are driving in the higher insurance cost states. If you have an out of state license you have to prove that you are maintaining a job or residence in the state it is being insured.

It needs to be registered and insured in the state it is driven in. No fair paying lower insurance rates than other states if you are driving in the higher insurance cost states. If you have an out of state license you have to prove that you are maintaining a job or residence in the state it is being insured.

Correct, but I'll nitpick one little thing.... its the state its routinely garaged in, not driven in. I used to live in NJ, get up in the morning, drive across the state line to NY and spend 80%+ in NY. I was registered and insured in NJ.

Unless you live on a state line though, this is a rare thing.

To the OP.... get your own insurance policy. Problem solved. Yeah, I understand that Mom may not pay for it that way though. Promise her you will visit often.

Dan

You are correct, garaging address. That is the very reason NC insurance companies have gotten tough. So many large border cities where rates are high but not as high as that small town in SC, VA, or TN.

Back