DM for T65's/Med Supps And Med Adv

Roy2015

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Nevada
Hey guys. I live in a high Med Adv penetration area and I'm wanting to start mailing to the T65's and compliantly be able to offer them Med Supps and Med Advantage. I know that the standard "Open Enrollment" mailer has historically been a good piece to use for Med Supps but it doesn't seem to be a viable option if I want to include Med Advantage. How can this be done compliantly?

Very easily. But why would anyone call you instead of responding the other 100 pieces of mail they receive?

Rick
The plan is to hit them 6-7 months out before anyone else gets to them and try and educate them and just keep in touch until they are 3 months out for the med adv. Could be more of a pain in the rear than it is worth but may be worth trying. I know there is 1500 or so t65's every month here in Clark county.

It seems the carriers are reaching out to them 12 months out now. I was given a bunch of BRCs this AEP and have at least 20 people who are T65 between April, 2018 - November, 2018 to follow up with. Some told me they plan to work a few more years, health permitting and are going to stay on the group plan at work until then as they have a spouse on it as well.

Carriers are much more aggressive in contacting T65, and also, any policyholder where they have a "legitimate" reason to call or correspond.

I get quite a few AARP solicitations, mostly by mail. Three times during AEP they sent info addressed to me, my wife and our 32 year old daughter (who is not on Medicare and doesn't live here).

Carriers have big budgets and a lot more lattitude in what they can do and how they can contact. Some of my T65 clients were contacted by carrier that had their major medical policies. Phone calls and direct mail, offering information and "advice" on their Medicare options.

Also have clients contacted by phone by their PDP carrier telling them they don't need to pay a premium. Clients are told there is a "new" plan that does not require a premium, includes health care, drugs, dental and vision. I pulled 3 clients back in before AEP ended when they called and asked if I knew about this "new" plan. Two had already signed up for a $0 MAPD. The third was thinking about it but wanted to ask my advice first.

I don't know if this is getting worse or I am just now hearing about it. I usually lose a handful of clients during AEP and don't find out until Jan or Feb when I the commission runs show that someone has cancelled.

This year I took a proactive approach to this after a client called in to ask about why the pdp company called them to offer a "great new deal" to the client. We reviewed it again and I explained what they were offering her and what they were not mentioning. Client wanted to make sure I wasn't cut out of anything.

I will start out next pre-AEP with more educational letters to clients about why we chose what we did and what to be aware of during AEP.

I offer them my help with PDP review, the 800 number to Medicare, and a pdf showing them how to do it themselves.

In the past I have been lax in running PDP reports but always told clients to call or email if they needed help. Found out that was a mistake. This year I decided to make up for my past sins and reach out by email to all of my clients.

Note to self. Start in September 2018.

From early Oct to early Nov I ran around 400 reports. Some people didn't want help or wanted to keep their plan. I was in no position to insist so I moved on to the next one.

Moved over half my clients to other plans, or kept same plan but suggested using different pharmacy. Average annual savings in the $600 range by changing. Two will save over $4,000 in 2018 by making a change.

This worked out well for me since some of my clients are not able to change Medigap due to health. I can still save them $$ by suggesting a PDP switch.

As a result of my "missionary work" I picked up about a dozen referrals I may not have received otherwise.

Didn't write as much new business this AEP as in the past but many new clients I did (and will) write are solid referrals. Web generated leads about the same as in the past but quite a few bogus ones and many from out of state.

Goodwill may not generate much in the way of new direct compensation but still makes it rain.

In addition to new clients I also continue to have a LOT of internal conversions. Normally only move 3 or 4 per year. This year over 50. Haven't had much of a breather since June when one of my carriers decided to play "catch up" and send out increases of 15% and higher. Really dumb move on their part. They lose healthy folks and keep the sick ones.

hit them 6-7 months out before anyone else gets to them

As others have mentioned, while 6-7 months seems early and aggressive, you won't be the first person in their mailbox. However, you should get a good enough response to keep you busy and productive.

I've seen over 3% BRC responses (sometimes over 4%) when mailing out that far in advance. But when you contact them, you still aren't the first :)

The nice thing is this: You don't need a lot of sales per 1,000 mailed in order to turn a profit. If 1,000 leads costs around 500, you need 2 sales for the FYC to pay for the mailing. Or 1.25 new MAPDs. While you should turn a profit even in FYC - the money is in year 2 and beyond.

Back