DMV Filings

Smit82

Our state DMV requires a driver to file forms showing proof of insurance after an accident to avoid license suspension. Forms are filed by the insurance company/agency. (my drivers get these DMV notices only after a police report has been filed)

The only notice from the DMV is sent out to the driver of the vehicle that was in the accident. Here are my questions:

-Does anyone have tips on when it is necessary to file these forms? Is it on every accident? Or only on accidents when police report has been filed?

-How is the agency supposed to know the date the form needs to be filed for?

-Does the driver of the vehicle have to give the DMV letter to the agency in order for the agency to file properly?

-Should an agency be filing for every accident claim? Or just when the DMV requests it?

Here in Mn the forms have to be filled out by the insurance company they do not allow the agent to fill them out.

the answers to most of those questions are state specific. someone will be better able to help you if they know what state you're in.

when I read the subject line "DMV filings", I thought you meant stuff like SR22, FR44 or SR50 filings ...... but that doesn't seem to be the case here. sounds like your state DMV just wants to see that liability coverage was in place at the time of the accident..... in most states, a simple dec page or id card will do. but your state may be different.

-Does anyone have tips on when it is necessary to file these forms? Is it on every accident? Or only on accidents when police report has been filed?

let me answer the last part first. if an accident doesn't have a police report, the DMV probably doesn't know about it. thus providing anything probably won't be necessary. as far as "filing forms", I'm not sure what you're talking about. I usually just need to print out a dec page and send it either to the insured or the DMV, based on the insured's request. this usually solves the problem, unless you live in a state that requires more hoops to be jumped through.

-How is the agency supposed to know the date the form needs to be filed for?

if you're not given any notification from the DMV, then I would assume you don't need to know or do anything. they can't expect you to be psychic.

-Does the driver of the vehicle have to give the DMV letter to the agency in order for the agency to file properly?

again, that's a state specific question.

-Should an agency be filing for every accident claim? Or just when the DMV requests it?

I would only worry about it when you have a request from either the insured or the DMV. As I said, you can't be expected to be psychic, and you shouldn't be expected to be a babysitter either.

these are about the best answers I can come up with unless I know more about your circumstances, particularly the state you're doing business in.

The state is Indiana. This is for all forms: SR-50, SR-22, SR-21/Cert of Compliance. The state's requirements and notifications process are really sloppily done and not at all helpful. I was wondering if there were any best practices to get around the bureaucratic mess regarding what form to file and when to file it.

I'm also in Indiana, and I agree. they do seem disorganized compared to other states that I work in.

It might be different for you and the carriers you have, but my carriers pretty much take care of all the DMV filings. but if there is something that you need to file yourself, the following link is an FAQ page that will help you figure it out. hope this helps.

BMV: Electronic Insurance Forms Submission FAQs

Back