Do I Have to Wait for Open Enrollment?

djmorando

Started with this company as a seasonal/temp employee working 40+ hours/week back in December of 2015. After the Holidays were over, I was asked to go part-time on an as needed basis. Which was 3 days/week covering for a regular employee that was gone from surgery. I didn't know if I would even have any regular part time hours once she returned from surgery. On 2/1/16 I received a benefit package from HR stating i'm eligible to enroll with a 3/1/16 effective date. The Memo states "After enrolling in insurance, you must maintain an average of 30 hours per week to continue to be eligible for insurance" The forms had to be turned in no later than 2/24/16 otherwise wait until open enrollment towards the end of 2016. So I was averaging 40/week as a temp, which i can only assume was rolled into part time 3 days a week (24 hours/week). I didn't sign up because I wouldn't be able to average the 30 hours to stay eligible, also I was a part time as needed basis.. After the fact I was given a full time position and told because I didn't sign up at that time I have to wait for open enrollment. I'm trying to read all over google before going back to annoy HR. My job status changed from part time to full time, do I still have to wait for open enrollment or does my employer have to honor the benefits?

Thanks,
David

pretty cut and dry here. you didn't enroll post probation period when offered (regardless of the nonsense with part-time and full-time, hours averaged, and whatever else you were going on about). because of this yes, you will have to wait until open enrollment period for the company in late 2016.
i see things like this often and i believe there's always an underlying issue here because you want the company to go back and cover you since 3/1. either 1) you incurred some kind of loss and want someone else to pay or 2) you just caught the fact you will be penalized for not having medical for the year.

pretty cut and dry here. you didn't enroll post probation period when offered (regardless of the nonsense with part-time and full-time, hours averaged, and whatever else you were going on about). because of this yes, you will have to wait until open enrollment period for the company in late 2016.
i see things like this often and i believe there's always an underlying issue here because you want the company to go back and cover you since 3/1. either 1) you incurred some kind of loss and want someone else to pay or 2) you just caught the fact you will be penalized for not having medical for the year.

Wow. That's some pretty big assumptions. I am sure the OP is going to think all insurance agents are __________ based on that response.

OP...I get it. You weren't going to maintain a 30 hour average, so figured "why bother" and ignored the open enrollment packet. HR didn't explain to you the implications of declining (or they did, but you still weren't going to do it, because of the 30 hour rule) and now you are stuck.

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do until Open Enrollment (either ACA for 1/1 effective date or the company open enrollment date, which may be different than 1/1). And that's not because the company isn't being helpful, its the law.

You also don't qualify for a Special Enrollment with Obamacare Individual Coverage.

If you are healthy, you might want to investigate a Short Term Medical policy, which has limitations and underwriting, but it will give you something. However, it is not considered Minimum Essential Coverage and the tax penalty still applies.

I am sorry! I know this isn't the answer you were looking for!

I'm not sure why you felt the need to even reply with such an arrogant and disrespectful response.. I'm quite aware of my situation. I'm well aware of the penalty. And I have had no incident requiring the wallet of an insurance company. I hope your post allows you sleep better at night and feel better about yourself. You give your industry, your employer and any associates a bad name. You should think twice before you post stupid things like what you said above. I provided a pretty understanding and reasonable explanation as to why I didn't sign up at the time in the first place. You must have been too concerned with hearing yourself talk to notice though. I worked with several people like yourself when I sold cars and life insurance. YOU make everyone else's job that much more difficult every time you open your mouth. Consumers will continue to dread both industries because of people like you. Keep up the great work bud.

Back