Do I Need a Release Letter?

mkim1969

Expert
I'm contracted with Humana MAPD but never wrote any business with them. I am changing from an FMO to another agency. Do I need a release letter from the current FMO? I'm thinking I do not since I have not written anything and have been contracted for about a year but I spoke to Humana and an agent there said that I would.

Last edited:
I'm contracted with Humana MAPD but never wrote any business with them. I am changing from an FMO to another agency. Do I need a release letter from the current FMO? I'm thinking I do not since I have not written anything and have been contracted for about a year but I spoke to Humana and an agent there said that I would.

With a lot of companies you are locked in forever regardless of how long you have been without writing business. Your only two options are to get the signed release. Or cancel your contract through Humana and then sit it out for six months and then re-contract.

Your new upline should be walking you through all of the things that you need to do. You don't need to sit there and try to figure it out they already have done it 1 million times and will walk you right through it.

Last edited:
Agreed with Newby that your new upline should be able to help with this. If they can't, then what makes you think they will be helpful later on with other aspects?

With FMOs, Humana has a 180 wait from the date of requested release, regardless of whether you wrote business or not. You can continue to write business during the 180 day waiting period.

If you get an immediate release from your current upline then you can move right away.

Agreed with Newby that your new upline should be able to help with this. If they can't, then what makes you think they will be helpful later on with other aspects?

With FMOs, Humana has a 180 wait from the date of requested release, regardless of whether you wrote business or not. You can continue to write business during the 180 day waiting period.

If you get an immediate release from your current upline then you can move right away.

I'm going through this exact process with Humana right now, here is part of the email they sent recently:

We have received your request for a release from XXXXXXXX. We have forwarded your request to the MGA to request a release letter. Should the MGA choose not to respond to the release request, please be aware that Humana will process the release 180 days after the receipt of your release request. Please refer to Humana’s Agent Release policy in your contract for further information.

Humana handles the release letter request, not the agent or the FMO, all the FMO does is submit a transfer request to Humana.

Glad to see UHC going to this method as well. 180 day wait period without interrupting business!

Back