Do I Need to Call the Insurance Company

wildbill777

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to read this..

My younger sister was visiting her boss in Wisconsin, while on the way to our grandfathers funeral. She went out to her bosses mailbox to get the mail for him and slipped on a piece of black ice, completely shattering her ankle bones... ( 12 pins, a plate, and other fun stuff where put in at the surgery which took place in Wisconsin, within 12 hours of the accident.)

She is going to lose a bunch of work now, and possibly her job. because of her inability to get around. The hospital and surgery bills are going to be horrendous because she doesn't have insurance.

Is there any insurance coverage that might help her out? She is completely devistated. She is an absolutely amazing compassionate beautiful person, and only 28 years old.

Does Homeowners insurance, property insurance, or whoever owns that little piece of land where she slipped and fell...???

Is there anything she can do?

I don't sell P&C but I do have a question.

You said she is going to lose a lot of work and probably get fired. She was doing her "boss" a favor and to repay her he is going to fire her? What a nice guy, I would certainly add him to my Christmas list. haha

I assume she was at his home. If so then he should have insurance that covers someone who are injured on his property unless the mail box is not on his property. (When we lived in the country our mail box was across the road and not on our property.)

Not a P&C agent, but this is definitely what homeowners is for.

Also, any boss who would fire an employee in such a situation is an ***. Was she at his house as an employee or a friend? An attorney could easily turn this into working off the clock. Who knows if you'd win in court, but some companies would settle just to make it go away.

You may not be able to win in an claim against the company or its insurance, but you could definitely make life unpleasant for them. That said, I'd be shocked if there wasn't some liability for the boss and his homeowner's insurance. Definitely give the company a call.

If she was going to get the mail as part of her job I would expect this to be covered by workers compensation insurance.

If it's not for work, med pay for his homeowner's insurance might cover a few thousand but unless he's negligent I don't think it will cover more than that.

Obviously hindsight is 20/20 but this is just another example of why everyone needs health insurance. I would bet that a plan with a limit of $5K out of pocket would have cost her under $100 a month.

I wish her well.

Rick

I'm sorry to hear about your sister. I think the P&C agents have already covered your sisters options. Its little things like this that make DI (Disability Insurance) so well worth its money. It wouldn't cover the medical bills, she know she needed Health Insurance but she is vastly more likely to be sick or hurt and unable to work at he age than she is to die. Just a warning out there for other people.

If the property is covered by homeowners insurance through a preferred carrier it most likely has medical payments coverage ($1k, or $5k in most cases) and liability insurance.

The medical payments coverage would pay irregardless of fault. The liability insurance would only pay if the homeowner was negligent.

Has she discussed this with her boss? How does he feel about filing a claim for medical payments?

Back