Do I need to form an LLC?

Craumas

If I'm creating a website and I'm an independent contractor and building a website for lead generation. Do I need to form an LLC or contact my states insurance department? I've tried looking for answers but can't find any information on it. I have a website built and I'm waiting to publish it, however I don't want to do any wrong steps.

ALWAYS operate a business in a LLC or corporation. Not doing so opens you up to losing all your personal assets.

I did want to bring something up important, though it doesn't address your question. If you are working as a 1099 for an agency and are covered under their e&o, creating your llc and creating your own website could get you excluded. I came across this issue when I tried to build a website at my first agency, then AGAIN at my second agency.

I was curious about something along this topic.

First year agent, was advised to create an LLC. I'm already appointed under my personal name and have my E&O under my personal name. Do I have to change the name on my E&O as well as my appointments to the LLC now?
Thanks for any help :)

It would be wise to create an entity to limit your liability. I'm not sure if you need to be licensed if you are just doing lead generation though. I wouldn't display rates, take commission based payouts, or offer life insurance advice without a license. If you are in it for the long haul, getting your license and a license for your company will open up opporuntities for you.

While the OP is unclear, assuming that you are selling insurance from your website, YOU need to be licensed. An LLC will NOT protect a licensed individual's actions. (Hint: That's why you're licensed.)

The reason to set up an LLC... is if you are hiring employees who could sue you for employment issues... and/or you are contracting agents. There may also be some other advantages in the tax-code for setting up a separate entity.

But for licensed agents & advisors... an LLC does nothing to protect your assets from your own personal actions.

But for licensed agents & advisors... an LLC does nothing to protect your assets from your own personal actions.

Exactly. And it gets worse. The member of a single member LLC is virtually indistinguishable from the LLC when performing services or doing business with others.

Should somebody decide that a lawsuit is appropriate it will likely be filed against the LLC and the individual member as co-defendants in an attempt to "pierce the corporate veil."

If you're operating only by yourself, having an LLC isn't necessary. It is a good idea, though. Having an entity protects you from some personal liability. In addition, if you plan to grow and take on other agents in a downline, having your entity contracted will work to your advantage. If you ever want to move up further, into the FMO/IMO world, then you really should have an entity.

If your an Independent Agent, all your licenses are under your name and you want to create a website for lead generation....do you need to contact your state's insurance dept to amend your licenses to have you "doing business as" your websites name or do i keep licenses the way they are?

Back