Do multi-location firms tend to contract with the same health insurer?

eastinsurance

For example, if I have a company with offices in Boise, Ann Arbor, and Boston, would I typically let each branch pick an insurer or do these types of companies tend to have one insurer?
Thanks!

For example, if I have a company with offices in Boise, Ann Arbor, and Boston, would I typically let each branch pick an insurer or do these types of companies tend to have one insurer?
Thanks!
It depends greatly on the number of employees in each location. If you are domiciled in MA with a small number of employees at each of the other locations the local carrier may not be able to offer. How many employees do you have per location.

It depends greatly on the number of employees in each location. If you are domiciled in MA with a small number of employees at each of the other locations the local carrier may not be able to offer. How many employees do you have per location.

This makes sense. I was asking primarily as a hypothetical. I do research on health insurance markets and was hoping to understand how employers picked their health insurance options. Do you know of any large firms that have switch for branches across multiple locations?

This makes sense. I was asking primarily as a hypothetical. I do research on health insurance markets and was hoping to understand how employers picked their health insurance options. Do you know of any large firms that have switch for branches across multiple locations?
What do you mean by switch for branches? Some multi-sites go with a single carrier, so do not.

What do you mean by switch for branches? Some multi-sites go with a single carrier, so do not.

Apologies for the typo. I meant to ask "Do you know an example of a large firm that has unilaterally switched their main health insurer across multiple locations? For example, has switched the plans offered at all of their individual branches from being through Insurer A to Insurer B?"

Yes. Companies will do what is best for them and their employees. There is no on single answer to your question. Some companies will use a single plan, some will use multiple plans. Some will offer a single plan across all their locations and augment with another local plan. They may even change strategies and reverse their decisions.

Back