Do Other Insurance Companies Know My Past Claims?

Hi. I've been trying to shop for auto insurance. Some time ago, I rear-ended someone and they made a claim against my insurance company. Since there was only minor damage to the rear bumper of the other party's car, we didn't file a police report or anything.

I'm wondering, would other insurance companies know about this one claim that I had last year? Excluding this, my driving record is pretty much pristine.

Thanks for any advice!

If the claim was reported then it will show up on the CLUE report. Anytime you call the claims department it is documented even if no payment is made a $0 claim will show up.

Most people dont know that insurance companies know more about you than you do.....

Some how, people always forget about a ticket or accident.......then it joggles their brain when you ask about that......

Or is that called selective memory?

Most people dont know that insurance companies know more about you than you do.....

Some how, people always forget about a ticket or accident.......then it joggles their brain when you ask about that......

Or is that called selective memory?

RBA - Everyone who calls in for a quote has a "perfect" or "good" driving record. When the $20k claim or DUI shows up from last year you get the "oh yea...":skeptical:

RBA - Everyone who calls in for a quote has a "perfect" or "good" driving record. When the $20k claim or DUI shows up from last year you get the "oh yea...":skeptical:

Its always the 'But I paid that' excuse :)

yottaflops - Yes. Insurance carriers report to a common claims database (called CLUE) to help minimize insurance fraud. Insurance carriers check this when they are writing a policy, as well as your dmv record, to verify the information you present.

Having a claim, by itself, doesn't mean much. If there was no payment made for the claim, frequently it gets rated as not at fault. You have to check with someone in your state to get a more accurate description on whether this would be ratable or not.

Dan

SOme companies have a forgiveness program.

I'm with progresssive and been with them for many years.

They didnt increase my rates after I hit my dad's truck.

Isn't it like health insurance where YOU want to tell them any negative history so they can't cancel the coverage later once they find out?

Unlike health insurance, they have between 60 and 90 days to cancel the policy. Beyond that, they simply set it up for non-renewal on the policy period (again, unlike health insurance).

Also, unlike health insurance, your gaps in memory won't get past the agent. The agent runs the reports and sees these things, though every once in a while, something will slip through and cause a re-rate in the first few days. Those are always fun to talk to the client about.

Dan

Back