Do people naturally avoid salesmen?

Brandon 8676

Expert
I ended up leaving the business a couple weeks ago, but one thing I noticed since getting out of it is some folks that weren’t talking to me while I was in it are now talking to me again. Do people naturally shy away from salesmen?

Don't portray yourself as one, don't harass people when i told a lady yesterday that'll send her quotes her whole demeanor changed.

If you prospected or held yourself out like a "predator"... and now you're no longer a "predator"... that's why people are more relaxed around you now.

This video outlines the problem - and it equally applies to our business as it does network marketing:

If you've ever seen THIS crap... it's completely wrong:

http://jackieulmer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/SalesStats.png

SalesStats.png

Why is it wrong? It's wrong because somebody got that from a MARKETING textbook (probably talking about branding) and applied it to selling. Claude Whitacre talks about this in his selling books and it makes perfect sense.

Marketing and sales are two completely different disciplines. Marketing is everything you do to lead up to the selling process. These stats integrate both into it as if "branding impressions" are part of the selling process to build familiarity and trust. The marketing MBAs got this completely wrong when this was invented.

Persistence only works when it is WELCOMED as a true follow-up. If it is not welcomed, then it is simply pestering (the root word being 'pest') and perhaps growing to annoyance and stalking.

Back