Do we need to be in an agency to sell?

MaryJ4703

I am struggling trying to decide what is best for me. I am licensed - 0214, 0218, 0240, 0266. I am with an agency now, but they are killing me with fees. I am not interested in becoming a billionaire with insurance. I am happy with a few apps per month. I love insurance, but I just don't want to make it my life.

What options do I have? Do I have to be with an agency? Can I be independent and not be affiliated with an agency? Do I need to create my own agency (something I prefer not to do)? Are there agencies that do not charge you for everything under the sun? I just want to passively sell insurance when the need or opportunity arises. Is there a place for me out there?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

If you are just selling life or life and health, you can probably find an insurance company that will give you a commission contract even if you sell part time.

If you are selling property/casualty, it's highly unlikely that you can get appointed on your own.

Yes it is Life, Health, Annuities and Viatical.
I am appointed with 31 companies
I have producer codes with 29 companies.

So I should contact these companies and ask them to change my producer code? Do you know the process?

Thank you so much for your help.

You typically wouldn't have the carrier change the producer code. There are several FMO's throughout the country that would be glad to appoint you with any of the carriers that they work with. Some of them are on the forums. You can also Google using various terms to find some of them to contact. I would compare the commission schedules, contracts, and also ensure that the carriers will send you your checks directly rather than having your commissions assigned to the FMO, then waiting for the FMO to pay you your portion. Some FMO's take a larger percentage of your commission, and some are fair. I'm sure some of them may respond here. You also need to consider how you are going to feed your pipeline of prospects. The place you are working at now may be helping you get prospects. I hope that helps.

I was hoping to do it on my own, but if I must be with an agency, I want as few fees as possible. I do not need an office, I will collect my own leads, and do not want to have any mandatory meetings. I need to be as independent as possible. I just want to sell on a part time basis and with no demands. It isn't a hobby, it just isn't my life. Does that make sense?

Back