Do you count income of people in your household who are NOT on your tax return?

stormmoon

Scenario: Mom and dad have 3 kids, live together, but are NOT married. Mom makes 22k a year, just above 100% FPL. They live in a state that DID expand medicaid. Dad makes 100k a year. They have 3 kids. Kids don't qualify for CHIP because dad makes too much, and his income counts because he lives with the kids. Mom qualifies for medicaid. Mom goes on healthcare.gov and applies for health insurance for JUST her 3 kids, and dad wants to apply for JUST himself. Now, here are the questions:
1. On the healthcare.gov website, it says to include your unmarried domestic partner in your household if you have kids with them. So, essentially, the mom is in a household of 5, right? And so is the dad?
However, the question is, does the mom include the dad's income on the application? She and the dad obviously don't file taxes together, as they are unmarried. Or can the mom just say that she's in a household of 5, but include only her income? From what I understood, this is what would happen, but please correct me if I'm wrong:
-Mom says she is in a household of 5, and lists her 22k a year income. She plans to claim all the kids, so she will get big subsidies and cost-sharing for the kids. She will simply present the kids' CHIP denial letter, and the marketplace will give them huge subsidies due to her low income and because she's the one claiming the kids.
-Dad wants to buy health insurance for himself. He will say that he's also in a family of 5, because based on the healthcare.gov website, you can include kids under 21 who live with you but who are not on your tax return, and you can include your domestic partner who you live with as long as you share children. So dad's a household of 5, and he will put down his 100k income, and maybe get some kind of subsidy because he's a household of 5?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Does the mom have to include dad's income? He's in her household, but not on her tax return. And does the dad have to include the mom's income on his application?

What part of "household" don't they understand?

What they are planning is fraud. When (not if) they get caught it will cost them a bundle.
I think I found my answer by searching the forums. So, essentially, we don't count non-tax household for ACA subsidy purposes. They only ask for the other people because of CHIP and medicaid, because CHIP/medicaid want to know about that info since that is how they tell who qualifies. However, for subsidy purposes, it would work out like this, as far as I researched:
-The mom would list herself and her kids as dependents, and she would be a household of 4 (not including the dad). She gets big subsidies for her kids and stays on medicaid herself.
-The dad is a household of 1.

I think I found my answer by searching the forums. So, essentially, we don't count non-tax household for ACA subsidy purposes. They only ask for the other people because of CHIP and medicaid, because CHIP/medicaid want to know about that info since that is how they tell who qualifies. However, for subsidy purposes, it would work out like this, as far as I researched:
-The mom would list herself and her kids as dependents, and she would be a household of 4 (not including the dad). She gets big subsidies for her kids and stays on medicaid herself.
-The dad is a household of 1.

Exactly. Household means only the people on your tax return for Federal subsidies. Medicaid is a little different, but APTCs are reconciled on the 1040.

Back