Do you ever write someone who's GI as underwritten?

beachbum2012

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Had a prospect call me today who's T65 in January and her husband who turned 65 in February earlier this year got a MAPD. She said she just got off the phone with Medicare to disenroll him from his MAPD and get a standalone PDP. I imagine the Medicare agent at 1-800-MEDICARE (that's who she said she called) used the Trial Right SEP for his Part D plan.

Anyway, he does qualify for Guaranteed Issue since he's in his 12 Trial Right period. However, he's healthy and is only on one drug, for cholesterol. Since GI hardly pays any commissions and since he's likely going to have to do extra work to get proof of this MAPD termination to the medsupp carrier, would any of you just submit his medsupp app as underwritten and try to get him approved this way first? If for whatever reason he's declined, I could submit a new app, or inform the carrier he's GI.

Also, off-topic, the prospect said when she called 1-800-MEDICARE the agent enrolled both of them in a PDP. But she doesn't even start her IEP until October 1st. Can an agent at Medicare even take an enrollment before IEP?!?

I'd consider submitting through underwriting if he is healthy as it could simplify the process. Just a heads some/most med sup carriers will flag it as a GI situation even if you submit through underwriting and require it to be processed as GI so it might be a moot point. I'd call the carrier you are considering and ask first.

If anthem BCBS is in your state and competitive they pay full commission on GI situations.

Quote: Also, off-topic, the prospect said when she called 1-800-MEDICARE the agent enrolled both of them in a PDP. But she doesn't even start her IEP until October 1st. Can an agent at Medicare even take an enrollment before IEP?!?

Assuming her DOB isn't 1/1, then no, seems like the app shouldn't have been taken now. I would expect this to get kicked out by the carrier and she'll have to complete a new app in Oct/Nov/Dec.

You ALWAYS do what is right for the client and submitting just so YOU can receive a commission is not right. If he is guaranteed, submit as guaranteed

If I submit underwritten why is that wrong for the client?

If I submit underwritten why is that wrong for the client
When you do anything based on the commission you want to earn vs the commission you will earn you are not working in the best interest of the customer.

When you do anything based on the commission you want to earn vs the commission you will earn you are not working in the best interest of the customer.

But how, If I write supp underwritten and it does not pass then I can submit GI nothing lost

If it passes I get paid to provide service. And its great service and worth every penny I make, Plus If I have to GI I still service

Moreover, If I do UNderwritten It might be A plan N for less

I don't see the issue You will have to explain how this hurts the client

The OP stated that the GI will not pay as well as the underwritten. He stated that he may have to do additional work but there is nothing in the post about which plan and cost savings. Guarantee issue is guarantee issue, whether it is a G,N, XYZ. The rate in the plan is not determined by the health or lack thereof, just smoker or non. If this was a life case, it is understandable fully underwritten but based on the question asked (I won't get paid as much if GI) this is not in the best interest of the client

But how, If I write supp underwritten and it does not pass then I can submit GI nothing lost

If it passes I get paid to provide service. And its great service and worth every penny I make, Plus If I have to GI I still service

Moreover, If I do UNderwritten It might be A plan N for less

I don't see the issue You will have to explain how this hurts the client

How will you answer this question?
Have you had coverage from any Medicare plan other than original Medicare within
the past 63 days (for example, a Medicare Advantage plan, a Medicare HMO, or PPO)?

How will you answer this question?
Have you had coverage from any Medicare plan other than original Medicare within
the past 63 days (for example, a Medicare Advantage plan, a Medicare HMO, or PPO)?

Whatever the truth is, But like I said most times I do underwriting in GI situations it's for a lower letter like Plan N (saving Client Money)said that before

Back