Do You Have Success at Cold Emailing?

insurehound

Guru
100+ Post Club
Escondido
Just curious if anyone uses "cold emailing" as an effective prospecting method. Curious on your thoughts...

I have dabbled with a little but typically use the phone. Josh will be very much against this approach for obvious reasons :) Sorry Josh, I just like pulling your leg.

Opt-in is the way to go. I did buy (or was it rent) a list once and had minimal success. I still think calling is better.

I do have in opt-in proceedure for when I receive a business card. I mainly use Constant Contact for those. I have had some success at this.

Cold emailing is only illegal if you don't include the necessary information at the bottom of the email.

Spam is not illegal. Not having an opt out method, company address, and clear subject line is illegal

Review the can spam act for the complete details. Note: email marketing = typically 35% open rate/read rate, 1% click thru rate.

Cold emailing is only illegal if you don't include the necessary information at the bottom of the email.

Spam is not illegal. Not having an opt out method, company address, and clear subject line is illegal

Review the can spam act for the complete details. Note: email marketing = typically 35% open rate/read rate, 1% click thru rate.

You're missing a bunch of details and talking in a lot of hypotheticals. The question is about how to obtain the email addresses. You can't buy a list to spam it. CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the email marketing, what are you talking about in terms of a 35% open rate? 1% click through? What type of a list?

Example list would be a chamber of commerce list found on line. You can purchase targeted email lists on line as well.

In past business I received an open ratio of 35% and a click thru ratio of 1% on a list of 100k mortgage brokers and loan officers. 35% actually opened the email 1% clicked the link in the email. 3% of those took action. Subject line and email content will impact the ratios.

Example list would be a chamber of commerce list found on line. You can purchase targeted email lists on line as well.

I know you can buy those, but that's exactly what's illegal according to the law. Will get caught? Eh, I doubt it.

For a few hundred bucks you can send millions of emails on a list that's professed to be opt-in, so why not go legit?

By contrast, some guys here went ahead and emailed about 100 of their old clients and picked up 5 deals out of it. I also know a number of folks that call businesses to get email addresses and just do a drip campaign on them and the results on those tend to work very well also. Doesn't hurt to go legit, that's all I'm saying.

Alot of factors go into email deliverability: spam words in subject lines, attachments getting caught in firewalls, personal firewall settings, incorrect email addresses, etc. Fusion sounds like you have had some success, but Josh makes a valid point where opt-in slow and steady over time (like the tortoise) wins the race. But if you're having some success and can do so legitimately getting your emails delivered keep on keeping on as spam filters will catch the rest and you can nurture the few that get through.

Spam is not illegal. You just have to comply with the CAN-SPAM Act - no misleading title, address in the email, ability to opt out, etc...

That said, it's ISP's that are the issue. The more spam their customers get the more pissed their customers get. So they try to prevent all spam, even legal spam.

The main issue with sending spam emails is finding a way to send it and not having it go right into everyone's junk folder.

Spam is not illegal. You just have to comply with the CAN-SPAM Act - no misleading title, address in the email, ability to opt out, etc...

Perhaps I misunderstood. I thought the OP was talking about "cold emailing" in that the folks hadn't opted-in with him or anyone else. From what I've read on the subject, it's illegal to buy a list that hasn't opted-in to receive the emails. So, if you go to the chamber of commerce site and collect the addresses yourself, fine. If on the other hand you buy a list from someone that has scraped them off the sites and the folks haven't opted-in, now you have the violation.

Latest posts

Back