Do you have to pay dues to maintain your CIC Status?

InsuranceNerd

Expert
Recently acquired CIC this year. Now its renewal time. Do you have to pay the dues to continue calling yourself a CIC? It's $120 a year! As far as I know, The Institutes do not require you to pay a membership fee unless you belong to a chapter of the CPCU Society. I'm trying to identify the value here.

Thoughts?

When I was a CIC I was required to take an annual class. After a few years I could teach them.

Decided the designation wasn’t worth the effort.

Rick

When I was a CIC I was required to take an annual class. After a few years I could teach them.

Decided the designation wasn’t worth the effort.

Rick
I'll maintain it for a few years since I went through the trouble to acquire it. But looking at the time and cost (although it's deductible), I'm not sure where I see the value paying over $600 a year for updates and dues.

Historically, the CPCU designation was yours. You paid an annual membership to belong to the CPCU Society, the amount depending on whether you were near a chapter.
Exactly. I thought that paying for a annual CIC refresher was tolerable. But adding dues on top of that? I think it's a little ridiculous.

Back