Do You Tell them They Are Being Tracked?

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
I use tracking software on all my emails. I learned long ago to never say anything about it for fear of freaking them out.

But I am thinking of making an exception.

Getting a bit annoyed with people that tell me they just bought right before I called and yes, they did read my email but I didn't offer anything they couldn't get anywhere else.

I am about to call BS on these folks and let them know they never opened the email nor did they bother to click through to the report. I figure they have already blown me off so why not expose them as the liar they are?

To what end my friend? Best to go along your merry way and avoid any possible nastiness.

Not all email clients download the pictures that are generally used to track. So it is possible they did see the email.

My tracking uses pixels to know when the email is opened. They don't need to load images to trigger the return tracking memo.

Tracking is an insidious practice and should be illegal. What business of it is yours to know when and if I open email you send?

And if you end up blowing someone off by saying you have tracked them... don't be surprised if they go on social media about the evil insurance agent who has violated their privacy and who should not be trusted, etc., etc., etc.

If it goes viral, even locally, it will take you years to recover. And "to what end" as the earlier poster asked?

I figure they have already blown me off so why not expose them as the liar they are?

Wait a minute. You have the right to invade their privacy and lie to them about it, but they don't have the right to lie to you? That's an interesting logical construct.

Some states make agents take an ethics CE class every few years. Obviously your state is not one of them!

Insurance agents. Gotta love 'em.

Last edited:
Oh gee whiz. What's wrong with me??? I'm agreeing with nylife11023... AGAIN! (It's not a political post, so that's why. :) )

Somarco,

If you're getting frustrated with prospects "lying" to you... you need to take a break. You may need to re-evaluate your processes to see if you can pre-qualify better or something. But it won't do you ANY good to unleash your fury upon someone in order to get them to fess up that they're lying and/or buy from you.

No good can come from this.

----------

"People will buy when they're ready to buy, not when you're ready to sell." - Lew Nason

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone who thinks this is not common practice all over the business world is living in the clouds.

Email and attachment tracking is used by almost every serious web marketing company out there. Lots of big corporations use these systems on external emails too. If you get any type of "update" type emails from a big corporation, chances are they have it tagged with tracking.

Do you honestly think that apple does not know if you opened their emails or not? Or Starbucks? Or Target? Ive used the same CRMs & marketing automation software as the big corporations use... and they ALL track emails and their attachments/links.

Email campaigns for big corporations are judged by "engagement". Those engagement stats are known because of email tracking.

--------------------

Some might find it intrusive... but how is it any more intrusive than calling you on the phone and knowing if you either answer or dont answer?

---------------------

Bob, you need a vacation. Or there is something missing in your process that is not creating the right interest after they initially fill out info. If what your sending them is unique, they need to realize it before filling out info. It seems they are filling out info for just a generic quote. They are missing whatever "unique value" that you bring to the table.

Also, remember that many people will submit info on multiple sites. So they could very well be thinking about a different email they opened. Ive seen stats that show the average person submits info to 3 different sites on average when looking for online quotes.

----------

Insurance agents. Gotta love 'em.

Failed insurance agents who hold a jealous grudge against successful agents... who spend their free time condescending them, in a feeble effort to make themselves feel superior.

Gotta feel sorry for 'em. Such a miserable way to live life.

Plus, most work 2x-3x more hours than me and still earn less than I do.

Last edited:
I probably do need a vacation. Which is where I am now. A few days of R&R in Savannah. Seems like lately I have had more than the usual number of people who want to play games.

And yes, what I send out (2 - 3 emails before I ever call) is plenty to let them know what I do, and how I approach the process, is completely different from anyone else.

I don't expect, or even want, to have everyone as a client. I am very picky and am quick to flush the folks that don't meet my criteria.

There have been some family crises of late that have been weighing on me and that has probably made me a bit more intense.

I probably do need a vacation. Which is where I am now. A few days of R&R in Savannah. Seems like lately I have had more than the usual number of people who want to play games.

And yes, what I send out (2 - 3 emails before I ever call) is plenty to let them know what I do, and how I approach the process, is completely different from anyone else.

I don't expect, or even want, to have everyone as a client. I am very picky and am quick to flush the folks that don't meet my criteria.

There have been some family crises of late that have been weighing on me and that has probably made me a bit more intense.

I'm in need of vaca too. Got one coming up next month thankfully. Hopefully, the family drama will work itself out soon.

Perhaps 2-3 emails are too many. Are they reading none of them at all?

People seem to be more impatient the past couple of years. Are these website visitors? I do 1-2 emails before the initial call for website visitors.

---------------------------

Here is the thing. If they are actually being truthful, and bought "right before you called", then cut down to just 1 or 2 emails before calling.

If they are being dishonest and did not buy already they either aren't interested or don't trust you. Either way they are not a future client.

I would start by shortening the amount of emails/time you are taking to contact them. Its a "now" society these days.

----------

You may need to re-evaluate your processes to see if you can pre-qualify better or something.

I agree with this statement.

However, you of all people must know how common email tracking is in the business world. Accounting firms do it. Securities firms do it. Attorneys do it.

Let me flip the situation for a sec. Ive heard compliance attorneys in the securities world recommend email tracking to reduce exposure to liability in communications to clients. Many professionals who are exposed to a high level of liability use email tracking to reduce exposure.

Or how about this.... I need to get a time-sensitive message to a client. I call and leave a voicemail. But I have no clue if the voicemail has been heard or not. I keep calling but there is no answer still. I send an email and it gets marked as "opened". Now I can rest assured the client as seen the info they need. And if there is ever any question about me not telling them... I have proof that they viewed the info needed.

Then there are the sales related reasons to use it. Its not just about new prospects. Its helps to know what past prospects might have a renewed interest.

I have no problem with email tracking. I do have a problem with using it to get someone to buy something they clearly don't want to buy.

I didn't think of it for compliance reasons, but I like that.

Back