Doctors Threaten Medicare Backlash

It appears as though we could see more use of the "excess charges" features of the med supps.

You need to understand that the excess charges are limited to about a net of 10% additional to what Medicare allows. So instead of a 21% cut, the doctor now only has to live with about a 12% cut.

The reason docs accept assignment is not because they do not want an additional 10%, it's because neither Medicare nor the supplement will pay them directly. They must collect from the patient after the patient is paid by the carriers. But they still have to do all the billing.

You won't see any real increase in physicians refusing assignment because of these cuts.

Rick

They would have to live with only about a 12% decrease IF they start billing for the excess which, as of right now, most don't.

Otherwise, they'll be seeing a 21% decrease.

That's why I said we could see and increase in the usage of the "excess charges".

Of course, all of this depends on whether there is a 21% decrease in reimburstment anyway.

Rick, I know you have been looking at this issue for some time now.

Why not start selling excess charge coverage? I realize that it may not be an option if the doc opts out. But, it is beginning to look like a real possibility!

Rick, I know you have been looking at this issue for some time now.

Why not start selling excess charge coverage? I realize that it may not be an option if the doc opts out. But, it is beginning to look like a real possibility!

I don't understand the question. Plan F, G and J cover excess charges now. Plans F, M and N will cover them under the modernized plans.

If you mean I should sell coverage for charges by docs that opt out of the Medicare system, there is no such animal.

What's there to sell?

Rick

The doctors are talking smack. They are playing possum right now as we speak. They pretend to be unhappy while inside they are doing the party dance as they see that any form of health care reform now being discussed is going to leave them with a free pass to continue to milk medicare and the insurance companies. One day maybe 10 or 20 years down the road we will put the doctors in line and they know it......but until then its going to be business as usual as they continue to sock it to us and build up their nest eggs.:1arghh:

In Missouri I will continue to sell Plan D unless the company doesn't offer a D then I will sell Plan G. Once Plan N is available I will begin marketing it heavily, especially in metro areas where HMO's are currently predominate.

We hear this every year. Medicare has recently initiated several programs for doctors designed to give them bonuses when they treat patients on Medicare. Over 99% of doctors today accept assignment. They do so because it is more profitable for them, not because they want to make less money.

I do not think the "sky if falling".

The reason docs accept assignment is not because they do not want an additional 10%, it's because neither Medicare nor the supplement will pay them directly. They must collect from the patient after the patient is paid by the carriers. But they still have to do all the billing.

Rick

I don't understand. When does a patient get paid by a carrier?

If you have a Plan-F and your doc bills you for excess charges do YOU have to make a claim with your carrier to get the money to pay the doc? Is that how it works? (My wife is on Medicare but has a MA PPO plan (Anthem Freedom Blue) and has never had a doc who didn't take assignment.)

Thanks.

Al

Back