Does a Medicaid Recipient Have to Enroll in Medicare at 65?

Thanks for the clarification, boy. I thought a boy would know they have to enroll in Medicare at 65.

Keep taking those nanoo nanoo apps.

Since my goal was to get an answer, I am not going to engage in any petty exchanges with anyone here.

With that being said, I will present 2 different scenarios.

Scenario # 1

A medicaid recipient that is 64.10 was not automatically enrolled in Medicare parts A or B. I instructed him to go down to the SSA and complete the necessary paperwork. He followed my instructions, received his Medicare card in the mail, and I enrolled him in a MAPD plan that is specifically designed for individuals who have Medicare and Medicaid.

Scenario # 2
A Medicaid recipient who is 64.10 was not automatically enrolled in Medicare Parts A or B. I instruct her to go down to the SSA and complete the necessary paperwork. She followed my instructions, received her Medicare card in the mail, and I am scheduled to meet with her this week.

Scenario # 3
I recently spoke with a that has Medicaid who is 64.10. She said that she gets everything that she needs from Medicaid, she does not see the need to go on Medicare, and wants to know what the consequences will be for her.

I was under the impression that any individual that is on receiving benefits from Medicaid would be placed on Medicare automatically upon turning 65. Medicare will be their primary insurance and pay 80 percent, and medicaid will pick up the rest.

Does anyone have an intelligent answer for me?

Since my goal was to get an answer, I am not going to engage in any petty exchanges with anyone here. With that being said, I will present 2 different scenarios. Scenario # 1 A medicaid recipient that is 64.10 was not automatically enrolled in Medicare parts A or B. I instructed him to go down to the SSA and complete the necessary paperwork. He followed my instructions, received his Medicare card in the mail, and I enrolled him in a MAPD plan that is specifically designed for individuals who have Medicare and Medicaid. Scenario # 2 A Medicaid recipient who is 64.10 was not automatically enrolled in Medicare Parts A or B. I instruct her to go down to the SSA and complete the necessary paperwork. She followed my instructions, received her Medicare card in the mail, and I am scheduled to meet with her this week. Scenario # 3 I recently spoke with a that has Medicaid who is 64.10. She said that she gets everything that she needs from Medicaid, she does not see the need to go on Medicare, and wants to know what the consequences will be for her. I was under the impression that any individual that is on receiving benefits from Medicaid would be placed on Medicare automatically upon turning 65. Medicare will be their primary insurance and pay 80 percent, and medicaid will pick up the rest. Does anyone have an intelligent answer for me?

So you make a snarky remark and that person replies back with a snarky remark and NOW you aren't going to engage in petty exchanges? That's rich.

So does that mean the financial adviser is dual eligible?

You guys need to get with the progressive program. The proper terminology is "bi-eligible" now. Also, let's not forget that a lot of clients are not actually Medicaid or Medicare eligible but they self-identify as being eligible. What about their needs?

Condoleezza-Rice.jpg

From what I understand, if a person has worked an total of 40 quarters (10 yrs) that person is automatically enrolled into Medicare Part A. In many cases, Medicare/Social Security even automatically starts their Part B. But generally speaking, Part B must be registered for. If a person refuses to accept Medicare Part B, it could become very hard to enroll in it later. I could see a big problem when the person no longer qualifies for Medicaid and then wants to get Medicare back when they have refused it initially. So I don't advise it. Since Medicaid requires an income level that if someone makes even a few dollars over it can lose it in a heartbeat, I would advise the person to get their medicare part A and B and get a Dual Plan and if they lose their Medicaid, they will have an SEP to get into a standard MAPD.

...Zeo

I thought that the person would have to activate their medicare on their own. I took an app just this week for a medi medi I originally called him back in May and all he had was Medicaid. I instructed him to go to the SSA to activate his Medicare part A & B before I met with him.

How could they be a medi-medi if they don't have both?

Anyway, the short answer is yes, they will be auto enrolled in both part A and B at age 65 if they have the 10 quarters of work.

They would have to opt out of part B but then they would lose their Medicaid as well.

That's the short answer. There are many things that could change this. The first being their not having 10 quarters of work.

How could they be a medi-medi if they don't have both? Anyway, the short answer is yes, they will be auto enrolled in both part A and B at age 65 if they have the 10 quarters of work. They would have to opt out of part B but then they would lose their Medicaid as well. That's the short answer. There are many things that could change this. The first being their not having 10 quarters of work.

If they aren't drawing Social Security yet I don't think they are auto enrolled in B. I've had several who had to sign up and it's always people that have delayed Social Security income.

From what I understand, if a person has worked an total of 40 quarters (10 yrs) that person is automatically enrolled into Medicare Part A. In many cases, Medicare/Social Security even automatically starts their Part B. But generally speaking, Part B must be registered for. If a person refuses to accept Medicare Part B, it could become very hard to enroll in it later.
Earning 40 SS credits makes one automatically entitled to Part A, but not automatically enrolled. Those still working with an HSA EGHP should not enroll in Part A to preserve their ability to contribute to the HSA, as Part A will cause penalties to those HSA contributions.

Automatic enrollment is done for Parts A and B only if a person reaches Medicare eligibility and is receiving SS benefits.

Postponing Part B then enrolling later is easy if enrollment was postponed due to qualifying EGHP coverage. If not it can be done once per year during the General Enrollment Period and could be subject to penates for late enrollment.

They are ONLY enrolled in Part A automatically at age 65 if they worked for 40 quarters. They have the right to refuse Part B -- they have credible Part B coverage through work, retiree insurance, Tricare. They are NOT automatically enrolled in Patk B at age 65 if they are NOT collecting Social Security. My wife postponed Soc. Sec. at age 65. She had company retiree insurance which included Part B & D that were deemed credible by CMS but felt it was better to enroll in a Med Adv plan so her husband could make a commission. To get a Med Adv plan, you must have Part A & Part B so she had to sign up for Part B and pay the $104.90 monthly fee.

If she did not have credible coverage, she would have had to sign up for Part B or pay a penalty. See pages 24-25 of the 2015 Medicare & You handbook.

Back