Does Aetna offer individual dental plans?

yorkriver1

Guru
1000 Post Club
Virginia
One of my clients' dentist is only (why?) in the Aetna dental network. He is in a semi rural community in Virginia, so it's puzzling. He is not in Delta's network. One of the growing # of dentists offering discount programs to patients. I get it that most dental plans aren't raising their payments to dentists. Costs up/reimbursements not changing.
Aetna dental coverage has not been on offer that I am aware of as an individual/family plan.

One of my clients' dentist is only (why?) in the Aetna dental network. He is in a semi rural community in Virginia, so it's puzzling. He is not in Delta's network. One of the growing # of dentists offering discount programs to patients. I get it that most dental plans aren't raising their payments to dentists. Costs up/reimbursements not changing.
Aetna dental coverage has not been on offer that I am aware of as an individual/family plan.
Yes, but they're weak compared to Manhattan Life.

Yes, but they're weak compared to Manhattan Life.
What makes them weak compared to Manhattan? They appear to have the same coverage limits $1,000/$1,500 and similar monthly costs as other companies out there I look at (Mutual of Omaha, Aetna, Medico, Delta, Cigna). What plans are people selling or can someone direct me somewhere to look into dental plans more? Everyone always asks me about them, but the plans I've sold in the past seem to do absolutely NOTHING. I check dentists are in network, people show up, office says they don't accept it.

Caveat, not an agent

".... the plans I've sold in the past seem to do absolutely NOTHING." I check dentists are in network, people show up, office says they don't accept it.

That is not a problem I have had with UHC/Golden Rule, BCBSKS, or Delta Dental KS. I have some dentists that have told me they will not accept me as a patient, but I have not had a problem with online listings of in-network dentists being inaccurate.

Caveat, not an agent

That is not a problem I have had with UHC/Golden Rule, BCBSKS, or Delta Dental KS. I have some dentists that have told me they will not accept me as a patient, but I have not had a problem with online listings of in-network dentists being inaccurate.

Do you find value in these plans? I don't believe in them personally because I have not had good experiences. Is the monthly premium (typically $35-$55 per month from what I see for Medicare clients) worth it?

Do you find value in these plans? I don't believe in them personally because I have not had good experiences. Is the monthly premium (typically $35-$55 per month from what I see for Medicare clients) worth it?
I should note that almost every agent on the forum will disagree with my position.

My short answer is going to be:
"It depends on your definition viewpoint of Dental INSURANCE.

If you see Dental INSURANCE as really an advance payment for services which must be recovered in the cost of services provided during the calendar or policy year, you will see no value in Dental INSURANCE.

Agent posts in the sub-forum here suggest to me that many agents take this view of Dental INSURANCE.

If you really consider Dental INSURANCE to be INSURANCE, you first must decide if you consider a risk of $1,000; $1,500; $3,000; or $5,000 in expenses a risk that would more properly covered out of one's pocket rather than insured for whatever the relevant premium cost is.

I think most of the agents discussing Dental INSURANCE here that do see Dental INSURANCE as INSURANCE believe Dental Services are more properly handled "pay as you go" rather than INSURED.

If you get this far with me, you then have to decide what average level of claims payments you want to see from the coverage to "make it worthwhile". Many will see insurance to cover cleanings, cleaning exams, cleaning x-rays and the occasional filling to not be worthwhile.

In that evaluation I think many agents will look only at actual claims dollars paid to providers, not the sum of claims dollars paid plus network price adjustments.

I look at claims dollars paid plus network price adjustments.

In my opinion, you and your clients probably need to give some consideration to those parameters before you get into specific plan benefits.

And you may find that starts to get into more explaining than you care to do.

A California Medicare agent says he would rather pick up cans on the roadside than sell Dental INSURANCE.

What makes them weak compared to Manhattan? They appear to have the same coverage limits $1,000/$1,500 and similar monthly costs as other companies out there I look at (Mutual of Omaha, Aetna, Medico, Delta, Cigna). What plans are people selling or can someone direct me somewhere to look into dental plans more? Everyone always asks me about them, but the plans I've sold in the past seem to do absolutely NOTHING. I check dentists are in network, people show up, office says they don't accept it.
There's more to a policy than the annual maximum. Manhattan will pay the full annual max on dental, glasses or hearing aids. Aetna will pay $200 every 2 years and $500 on hearing aids.....WEAK. Neither require a network, but both have them available.

Medico is weak. Cigna is weak on glasses and hearing aids. I'm not familiar with MOFO or Delta.

There's more to a policy than the annual maximum. Manhattan will pay the full annual max on dental, glasses or hearing aids. Aetna will pay $200 every 2 years and $500 on hearing aids.....WEAK. Neither require a network, but both have them available.

Medico is weak. Cigna is weak on glasses and hearing aids. I'm not familiar with MOFO or Delta.

Looking over current brochure, I think hearing has an annual cap and 12 mo wait period. Vision has a lot of different parts, each with caps, so it may not be possible to get to max there either.

I’m canceling my Manhattan DVH plan this month. I’ve had it for 5 years and I’m tired of the denials and low customary charges.
I know this doesn’t have to do with this post but I’m moving to Ameritas.

if my only option was Aetna, I’d take it.

Back