Does Anyone Know the Medicare Guidelines when Traveling Outside the USA?

Jonny.Boy_NYC

I'm trying to figure out what the benefits are when traveling outside the US if someone needed to get emergency care or needed to see a doctor.

Thank You

Medicare does not pay any benefits for travel outside the U.S. Some of the supplement plans pay a little bit.

Uh...isn't this a basic sales point for a supp or MA when the question is asked?

It's a feature, but not usually a benefit. If you're in Uganda, the doctor/hospital might not care about your insurance from here.

I tell people to buy travel insurance. If they only get the accident/sickness, it's very cheap. And they will coordinate payment to the provider.

Rick

The out exception is if they are on a direct route to Alaska or on there way back.

From Medicare.gov

Medicare coverage outside the United States is limited. In most situations, Medicare won’t pay for health care or supplies you get outside the United States (U.S.). The term “outside the U.S.” means anywhere other than the 50 states of the U.S., the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the Northern Mariana Islands.

This facsheet explains some of the exceptions that would allow you to get coverage outside the U.S. under Original Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) and/or Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance).

When does Medicare cover health care services in a foreign hospital?

There are three situations when Medicare may pay for certain types of health care services you get in a foreign hospital (a hospital outside the U.S.): 1.You’re in the U.S. when you have a medical emergency, and the foreign hospital is closer than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat your illness or injury.

2.You’re traveling through Canada without unreasonable delayby the most direct route between Alaska and another state when a medical emergency occurs,and the Canadian hospital is closer than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treatyour illness or injury. Medicare determines what qualifies as “without unreasonable delay” on a case-by-case basis.

3.You live in the U.S. and the foreign hospital is closer to your home than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat your medical condition, regardless of whether it’s an emergency. Remember, in these situations, Medicare will pay only for the Medicare-covered services you get in a foreign hospital.

The foreign travel provision of a Med Supp will not pay to repatriate someone. Short term travel policies from somewhere like a travel agency will.

I recommend to all my clients when leaving the country that they not solely rely on the foreign travel coverage provided by their Med Supp Policy.

Most supplements cover up to $50,000 at 80/20 after $500 deductible.

Not great coverage because the providers in (for example) Cuba might not accept assignment of the Med Supp benefits. They may require you to pay and then you try to get reimbursed.

I stand by my recommendation to spend the $100 and get travel insurance. The plans will pay on behalf and have concierge service damn near worldwide.

If someone can afford to travel, they can afford to protect themselves with proper coverage.

Rick

Back