Does losing VA coverage, while covered under MA....

And yet I go to the VA for all my medical needs. Do you think they let me go there because I make no money or something? If money had anything to do with it I probably wouldn't be going.

As I said before though, money does determine if you have a copay for prescriptions or not.

I see you're point. However, few of my clients on insulin claim they were declined by the VA based on their income. It was a shock at first because my understanding was every Vet is eligible. I will take it as a case by case. I don't see a definate answer.

And yet I go to the VA for all my medical needs. Do you think they let me go there because I make no money or something? If money had anything to do with it I probably wouldn't be going.

As I said before though, money does determine if you have a copay for prescriptions or not.

I see you're point. However, few of my clients on insulin claim they were declined by the VA based on their income. It was a shock at first because my understanding was every Vet is eligible. I will take it as a case by case. I don't see a definate answer.

No, every Vet is not eligible, except when they are first coming out. They have 2 years (maybe 5 years if they served in a combat operations situation) where they can use the VA. After that they are SOL unless they have a disability (or more) that was either created while in the military or it made it worse while in the military.

Once they are eligible for the VA, then and ONLY THEN will they be given a means test to see where they fall as far as copays are concerned.

No, every Vet is not eligible, except when they are first coming out. They have 2 years (maybe 5 years if they served in a combat operations situation) where they can use the VA. After that they are SOL unless they have a disability (or more) that was either created while in the military or it made it worse while in the military.

Once they are eligible for the VA, then and ONLY THEN will they be given a means test to see where they fall as far as copays are concerned.

Nice misinformation there Todd.

Just to throw in my encounter where I live in South Carolina. I come across many VA clients. Lost Dollar is correct in saying income determined VA eligibility.

I have VA clients that were declined by the VA due to income.
Especially insulin clients. They complain about the copays yet they are vets.

Just like the common phrase "the VA will take care of me when I pass on) one has to be eligible to get a plot based on the years they served.

Mr. King, I respect all your posts, but on this case, I beg to differ based on my experience. By the wa, I wish you were my FMO/IMO

I take it back! Income has nothing to do with eligibility. Mr. Todd is absolutely correct.

I had to go and confront my VA clients that claimed they are not eligible to get prescription from the VA based on income.

I learned from 2 clients they were dishonored or more precise kicked out, another client quit before 3 years lapse.

Others receives less than 50% disability which makes them pay out of pocket for their prescription.

The above situation disqualifies them to receive help from the VA.

I guess it is easier to say "my income is high" than to say "I was dishonored"

I rest my case.

I take it back! Income has nothing to do with eligibility. Mr. Todd is absolutely correct.

That is untrue. As I have said before, for some veterans, income is the factor which will cause them to be eligible or ineligible for VA services.

Lots of good VA info. Coming from a different angle (have a prospect that's a Vet that gets VA Compensation (non taxable-not based on needs) that is having trouble getting care from the VA and wants an MA/needs a SEP) does anyone know if VA compensation counts toward the max you can make to Qualify for Medicaid (the Medicare Saving Program). My client told me he was told it doesn't (as it's non taxable) and I was surprised, but googled it and there's not a lot of info but from what I see he may be correct. I've called Texas Medicaid 3 times, got no the first time, but she said she wasn't sure, and just not sure, send it in and see from the other 2.

Last edited:
Back